Straight wire inductance vs wire radius

In summary, the relationship between the wire radius and inductance is inverse, meaning that as the wire gets thinner, the inductance increases. This is due to the coupling between filaments of current within the wire, where thinner wires have higher coupling and thus higher inductance. Rosa's derivation applies to DC currents, and the concept can be visualized using Baluncore's example of filaments within the wire. This understanding was significant in the work by Rosa and his team at NBS.
supernano
TL;DR Summary
I am looking for an intuitive explanation to why the inductance of a straight wire is larger for thinner wires.
I know that the whole topic of inductance in a straight wire is complicated (and has led to some heated discussions in this forum :smile:). I followed Rosa's derivation and can see that it leads to an inverse relation of the inductance to the wire radius, and from what could understand, the point is that with thinner wires there is more "space" between the edge of the wire and infinity to integrate across. Is that it, or does someone have a better intuitive explanation for this relationship?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Start by thinking of say 6 parallel filaments on the surface of the wire.

The filaments of current flowing on the thin wire are close together, so their magnetic fields have good coupling. On thicker wires, the individual filaments are more separated, so are less well coupled.

Then increase the number of filaments until you are thinking of a current sheet on the surface of a round wire.

Likes DaveE
Baluncore said:
Start by thinking of say 6 parallel filaments on the surface of the wire.

The filaments of current flowing on the thin wire are close together, so their magnetic fields have good coupling. On thicker wires, the individual filaments are more separated, so are less well coupled.

Then increase the number of filaments until you are thinking of a current sheet on the surface of a round wire.
Thanks @Baluncore, so I thought about this as well and it makes sense for high frequency signals where the skin depth is much smaller than the radius of the wire.. but from what I understand, Rosa's derivation applies to DC currents, which is what makes it less intuitive to me

supernano said:
.. but from what I understand, Rosa's derivation applies to DC currents, which is what makes it less intuitive to me
OK, so add a central filament, to the six peripheral filaments, making seven. Allocate one seventh of the sectional area to each filament. Place the filaments at the geometric mean of the sub-area they represent. The concept then fits the DC model, and the exact same logic follows. As the wire diameter is increased, the coupling between the filaments is reduced.

Likes supernano
Baluncore's visualization of filaments of current within the wire leads us in the right direction. The mutual inductance between filaments increases as the wire diameter shrinks. (If the filament separation and total current in the wire are both held constant, then the current per filament increases, increasing the magnetic coupling.)

1. What is the relationship between straight wire inductance and wire radius?

The straight wire inductance is directly proportional to the wire radius. This means that as the wire radius increases, the inductance also increases.

2. How does the wire radius affect the inductance of a straight wire?

The wire radius affects the inductance of a straight wire by determining the amount of magnetic field that can be generated around the wire. A larger wire radius allows for a greater magnetic field, resulting in a higher inductance.

3. What is the significance of straight wire inductance in electrical circuits?

Straight wire inductance is important in electrical circuits because it can cause unwanted voltage drops and interference. It also affects the performance of inductive components such as transformers and motors.

4. How does the length of a straight wire affect its inductance?

The length of a straight wire has a negligible effect on its inductance. This is because the magnetic field generated by a straight wire is primarily determined by its radius, not its length.

5. Can the inductance of a straight wire be changed by altering its shape or orientation?

Yes, the inductance of a straight wire can be changed by altering its shape or orientation. For example, coiling a straight wire can increase its inductance, while bending it at right angles can decrease its inductance.