Strain optic coefficient definition

In summary, Born and Wolf defined stress- and strain-optical constants in terms of stress birefringence (photo-elastic effect). These constants can be used to calculate the difference in stress between two regions of an object, or to generate a strain optic coefficient.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I can't find the THEORETICAL definition of "strain optic coefficient" online. I googled and wiki'd enough. Can someone provide me with one, please?

Science news on Phys.org
Born and Wolf defined stress- and strain-optical constants in terms of stress birefringence (photo-elastic effect). For example, the index ellipsoid of an unstressed material may be written as:

[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{\epsilon_{x}}+ \frac{y^{2}}{\epsilon_{y}}+ \frac{z^{2}}{\epsilon_{z}} = 1[/itex]

and applying a stress [itex]\sigma[/itex] with components [itex]\sigma_{xx}, \sigma_{xy}, \sigma_{xz}[/itex], etc changes the ellipsoid to:

[itex]a_{xx}x^{2}+a_{yy}y^{2}+a_{zz}z^{2}+a_{xy}xy+a_{xz}xz+a_{yz}yz+=1[/itex], with the optical-stress coefficients q relating the unstressed and stressed index ellipsoid: for example

[itex]a_{xx}-\frac{1}{\epsilon_{x}}=q_{xxxx}\sigma_{xx}+q_{xxyy}\sigma_{yy}+q_{xxzz}\sigma_{zz}+q_{xxyz}\sigma_{yz}+q_{xxzx}\sigma_{zx}+q_{xxxyx}\sigma_{xy}[/itex].

Similarly, by using the stress-strain relationship [itex]\sigma_{ij} = C_{ijkl}\epsilon^{kl}[/itex].. sorry, 'epsilon' got used twice here... you can generate the strain-optic coefficients.

This subject gets covered in various places- crystal optics, acousto-optics, etc.

So, to put things in English :) --> it's the relation between stress and strain of a certain material?

not exactly- it's the relationship between the applied stress and induced birefringence.

Hello again, Femme Physics.

I take it you are now studying photoelasticity?

So you will have seen the striking pictures that photoelastic analysis can generate?

These are alternate regions of light and dark (and sometimes pretty colours) when polarised light is shone through a suitable material undergoing strain. Alternatively if the object is opaque and we coat it with a suitable photoelastic coating then the light passes through the coating is reflected by the substrate and passes back through the coating - a double journey.

Either way the difference in stress between two dark zones, a and b ( is given by the equation

[tex]{\sigma _b} - {\sigma _a} = \frac{{CN}}{t}[/tex]

Where N-1 is the number of dark regions between a and b,
t is the thickness,
C is a material constant which I think (edit: but I am not certain) is your strain optic coefficient.

Typical values are

polyurethane 3 - 5
epoxy 60
pound-fringes per inch (sorry it's imperial)

Last edited:

What is the strain optic coefficient?

The strain optic coefficient is a measure of the change in refractive index of a material due to applied strain or stress.

How is the strain optic coefficient measured?

The strain optic coefficient is typically measured using a polariscope, which measures the degree of rotation of polarized light passing through the strained material.

What is the unit of measurement for strain optic coefficient?

The unit of measurement for strain optic coefficient is typically expressed in units of reciprocal stress, such as nm/mm or μm/N.

What factors can affect the strain optic coefficient of a material?

The strain optic coefficient can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the direction and magnitude of the applied stress or strain.

Why is the strain optic coefficient important in material science?

The strain optic coefficient is important in material science because it can provide valuable information about a material's mechanical properties, such as its elasticity and strength, and can be used to design and optimize materials for specific applications.