Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange case: Bottle of water freezing

1. Jan 28, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2013 #2

rollingstein

Gold Member

Cool demonstration but not a mystery much: I think it is just supercooling. The lack of imperfections etc. provides a lack of nucleation centres.

Shaking does the rest.

4. Jan 28, 2013 #3
    I think you are right....I no idea water could be supercooled to such a LOW temperature:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercooling

I'm also surprised because reviews of bottled water show it often of a no so good quality...Consumer Reports, I think.

5. Jan 28, 2013 #4
    Exactly, it is due to the lack of suspended solids and gas bibbles to act as nucleation centres. Overheating is also easily observed if you heat water twice in a microwave oven. The second time due to the lack of gas bubles to act as seeds for condensation you can reach a temperature much above water's boling point without boiling, however, any disturbance causes an explosive generation of vapour (if you decide to try it, be very careful!).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook