1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange Change of Variable of Integration

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    I've been following a few derivations for quantities in classical mechanics of rotating systems, and one of the integrals is transformed in a way I've never seen before. For angle theta, angular velocity omega and angular acceleration alpha:
    t%7D%5C%20d%5Comega%20%3D%20%5Cint_%7B%5Comega_i%7D%5E%7B%5Comega_f%7D%20%5Comega%5C%20d%5Comega.gif

Intuitively I can see that they've 'just' swapped the differential on top with the one trailing the integral and adapted the variables denoting the initial and final values accordingly, but could anybody point me to a more in-depth explanation of this? The notes gloss over the step and it seems like it could be a useful trick to bear in mind generally.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Note that, between 2 and 3, you may write:
    [tex]d\theta=\frac{d\theta}{dt}dt=\omega{dt}[/tex]
    You then make the variable change:
    [tex]\frac{d\omega}{dt}dt=d\omega[/tex]

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3
    Whenever you see people using change of variable (in integrals), or separating variables (in diff eq) and/or messing around with differentials in any way, it is always a shortcut way of applying the chain rule. You have the further slight complication here re the connections between ##\alpha, \omega \text{ and } \theta##. Or perhaps it is an opportunity rather than a complication.

What Arildno wrote should show you the path.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted