1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral change of variable polar coordinates question

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

evaluate the double integral of cosh(6x^2+10y^2) dxdy by making the change of variables x=rcos(theta)/sqrt(3) and y=rsin(theta)/sqrt(5)

let D be the region enclosed by the ellipse 3x^2+5y^2=1 and the line x=0 where x>0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

first I found the Jacobian, using the determinant of [dx/dr dx/dtheta, dy/dr dy/dtheta] that turned into [cos(theta)/sqrt(3) -rsin(theta)/sqrt(3), sin(theta)/sqrt(5) rcos(theta)/sqrt(5)] to be r/sqrt(15)

then after that i found out what the region in the polar coordinates would be covered, i subbed in x=rcos(theta)/sqrt(3) and y=rsin(theta)/sqrt(5) to find out r is either 1 or -1, as it must be positive it has to be 1. And as it's only half the ellispe on the postive x-axis, theta goes from -pi/2 to pi/2. lastly i subbed in x=rcos(theta)/sqrt(3) and y=rsin(theta)/sqrt(5) into the equation to obtain cosh(2r^2).

Hence now the integral is 1/sqrt(15) * double integral rcosh(2r^2) drdtheta, where 0<r<1 and -pi/2<theta<pi/2 and the 1/sqrt(15) and the r into of cosh is in there due to the jacobian.

integrating this integral i obtained the answer to be pi*sinh(2)/4sqrt(15) which isnt the right answer, i integrated rcosh(2r^2) to be equal to sinh(2r^2)/4 which says is correct on wolfman alpha and then i had 1/sqrt(15)* integral sinh(2)/4 dtheta which turned into 1/sqrt(15)*[theta*sinh(2)/4] for pi/2 and -pi/2 which come out to be pi*sinh(2)/4sqrt(15), i am very confused as why this isnt the right answer and any help would be much appreciated.

MY ANSWER I GOT: pi*sinh(2)/4sqrt(15) (WHICH IS WRONG)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks okay to me. Why do you think your answer is wrong?

4. Oct 1, 2014 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Minor point: "intergal" and "intergate" are not words.

5. Oct 2, 2014 #4
    the answer in the question booklet is pi*sinh(2)/4 not pi*sinh(2)/4sqrt(15), do u think there could be an error in the question booklet?

6. Oct 2, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted