Strange ODE from my final today?

In summary: Attempt at a Solution In summary, a student had a difficult extra credit question on their final exam in ODE and was struggling to solve it using various methods including trying to manipulate it into a linear equation, using separable variables, and transforming it into a Bernoulli form. The equation was x(x-y-2)dx+y(y-x+4)=0 and the student was given the freedom to use any method to solve it. After some discussion, they realized there was a mistake in the equation and the correct form was x(x-y-2)dx+y(y-x+4)dy=0. The student then attempted to solve it using a substitution method but got stuck. They were wondering if another substitution was needed.
Agent M27

Homework Statement

So I had my final exam today in ODE and I had an equation which appeared to be exact, but was not. I also tried to find a special integrating factor to make it exact, but no success. I then attempted to manipulate it into a linear eq, tried separable variables, even tried to get it into a Bernoulli form, all of which no luck. This was the extra credit question so I know it must be difficult, but I cannot find an example similar to it in our text, "Fundamentals of Differential Equations" by Nagle. Here is the equation and I was told I could use any method I like to solve it.

x(x-y-2)dx+y(y-x+4)=0

Homework Equations

It is not an exact differential, cannot obtain a special integrating factor. Thanks again for any assistance, this problem has been bugging me all day!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Agent M27 said:

Homework Statement

So I had my final exam today in ODE and I had an equation which appeared to be exact, but was not. I also tried to find a special integrating factor to make it exact, but no success. I then attempted to manipulate it into a linear eq, tried separable variables, even tried to get it into a Bernoulli form, all of which no luck. This was the extra credit question so I know it must be difficult, but I cannot find an example similar to it in our text, "Fundamentals of Differential Equations" by Nagle. Here is the equation and I was told I could use any method I like to solve it.

x(x-y-2)dx+y(y-x+4)=0
There should be a dy somewhere in this problem.
Agent M27 said:

Homework Equations

It is not an exact differential, cannot obtain a special integrating factor. Thanks again for any assistance, this problem has been bugging me all day!

The Attempt at a Solution

Crap you're correct Mark, the equation actually read as x(x-y-2)dx+y(y-x+4)dy=0. I have determined that I need to do some sort of substitution, using v=[itex]y/x[/itex], which ought to transform it into some sort of separable variables. However, I am still running into trouble attempting to separate into dv=dx. Here is where I get stuck:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{x(x-y-2)}{y(y-x+4)}[/itex]

dividing by x

=-[itex]\frac{(1-y/x-2/x)}{y/x(y/x-1+4/x)}[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{(x-y-2)}{(y^{2}/x-y+4y/x)}[/itex]

substituting [itex]v[/itex]=[itex]y/x[/itex], [itex]y=vx[/itex], [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{dv}{dx}x[/itex]+[itex]v[/itex] and some rearranging and I get stuck...

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{(x-vx-2)}{(v^{2}x-vx^{2}+4vx)}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{v}{x}[/itex]

Do I now need to come up with another substitution? Thanks for you help.

Joe

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It is typically used to model physical or natural phenomena.

2. Why is the ODE from my final considered strange?

The term "strange" is subjective and can vary from person to person. It is possible that the ODE may have been complex or difficult to solve, leading to the perception of it being strange.

3. How do you solve an ODE?

Solving an ODE involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various methods, such as separation of variables, integration, or using numerical techniques.

4. Can you provide an example of a real-world application of ODEs?

ODEs have many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the growth of a population, the motion of a pendulum, or the cooling of a cup of coffee.

5. Is it common for ODEs to appear in exams or assignments?

Yes, ODEs are a fundamental concept in many fields of science and mathematics, so it is common for them to be included in exams or assignments to test students' understanding and problem-solving skills.