1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange ODE from my final today?

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I had my final exam today in ODE and I had an equation which appeared to be exact, but was not. I also tried to find a special integrating factor to make it exact, but no success. I then attempted to manipulate it into a linear eq, tried separable variables, even tried to get it into a Bernoulli form, all of which no luck. This was the extra credit question so I know it must be difficult, but I cannot find an example similar to it in our text, "Fundamentals of Differential Equations" by Nagle. Here is the equation and I was told I could use any method I like to solve it.

x(x-y-2)dx+y(y-x+4)=0

2. Relevant equations

It is not an exact differential, cannot obtain a special integrating factor. Thanks again for any assistance, this problem has been bugging me all day!

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There should be a dy somewhere in this problem.

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3
    Crap you're correct Mark, the equation actually read as x(x-y-2)dx+y(y-x+4)dy=0. I have determined that I need to do some sort of substitution, using v=[itex]y/x[/itex], which ought to transform it into some sort of separable variables. However, I am still running into trouble attempting to separate into dv=dx. Here is where I get stuck:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{x(x-y-2)}{y(y-x+4)}[/itex]

dividing by x

=-[itex]\frac{(1-y/x-2/x)}{y/x(y/x-1+4/x)}[/itex]=-[itex]\frac{(x-y-2)}{(y^{2}/x-y+4y/x)}[/itex]

substituting [itex]v[/itex]=[itex]y/x[/itex], [itex]y=vx[/itex], [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{dv}{dx}x[/itex]+[itex]v[/itex] and some rearranging and I get stuck...

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{(x-vx-2)}{(v^{2}x-vx^{2}+4vx)}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{v}{x}[/itex]

Do I now need to come up with another substitution? Thanks for you help.

Joe

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook