Chances of Strangelet Forming?

• Thread starter kabz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a BBC program called "End Day" that featured a doomsday scenario involving a particle collider creating a strangelet that would engulf the world and squash it to the size of a small pea. The question was raised about the chances of this scenario actually happening, but most experts, including Frank Wilcek, believe it to be highly improbable. The idea of a strangelet forming and destroying the Earth was also discussed, with many asking for a simple explanation in layman's terms. Some individuals even referenced past incidents, such as the first A-bomb test, where similar calculations were made and ultimately proved to be unlikely.
kabz
hi all, i am new to these forums and have a question that has been on my mind for quite some time,
about 12 months ago there was a programme on the bbc called "End Day",
in which there was a doomsday scenario that a particle collider would create a strangelet,
which in turn would engulf the world and squash us to the size of a small pea,

my question is: what are the chances of this actually happening?
i do not have an exstensive physics knowledge and so far everything i have found goes into too much technical detail,
what i would like is for a straight simple answer in as close to laymans terms as possible.
many thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe Frank Wilcek and a few others were on a commission to study the chance of this scenario and came to the conclusion that it was vanishingly improbable. The problem is you would expect this sort of scenario (if true) to occur in stars, and of course this is unobserved.

can someone please explain why strangelet forming will destroy earth? i mean why would that scenario happen?

If it were in a such comission, I had also concluded it can not destroy the earth... they are not going to blame me if I am wrong, are them?

People asked Bethe, about a calculation of the same kind he was forced to do before the first A-bomb test, if he was worried about it when the test was done. You can imagine, "Wait, it was hbar, not h!"

1. What is a strangelet?

A strangelet is a hypothetical particle made up of a combination of up, down, and strange quarks. It is believed to be extremely dense and stable, with a negative charge.

2. How do strangelets form?

There are currently two main theories on how strangelets may form. One suggests that they could be created in high-energy collisions, such as those in particle accelerators. The other theory proposes that they could form in the core of neutron stars under extreme pressure and temperature conditions.

3. What are the chances of a strangelet forming?

The chances of a strangelet forming are extremely low. Even in high-energy collisions, the formation of a strangelet is highly unlikely due to the low probability of the necessary quarks coming together in the right way. Additionally, if strangelets do form in neutron stars, they would be confined to the core and not pose a threat to our planet.

4. Could a strangelet destroy the Earth?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that a strangelet could destroy the Earth. The strangelet hypothesis is purely theoretical and there is no known mechanism by which a strangelet could grow and consume other matter. In fact, some scientists believe that strangelets would quickly decay into more stable forms.

5. Should we be concerned about the formation of strangelets?

Based on our current understanding of strangelets, there is no need for concern. The chances of a strangelet forming are incredibly low, and even if one did form, it would not pose a threat to our planet. However, further research and study of strangelets could help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics and the behavior of matter under extreme conditions.