Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strategies for drawing space curves?

1. Jun 5, 2014 #1
    What are some helpful strategies for drawing and conceptualizing space curves? I'm having trouble drawing them and I'm not very artistic! Also, please provide helpful videos on this topic if you can.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2014 #2
    Programming, maple, mathematica, stuff like that.

4. Jun 7, 2014 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Drawing these manually is supposed to be part of instruction. This will/must/should occur in Geometry and in Calculus 2 and Calculus 3. This is much like perspective drawing, but without forming Vanishing Points.

(Maybe the response is inadequate. Difficult to describe through writing on the forum how to do these drawings).

If it helps, start with an origin point, draw an axis upward called z, draw an axis to the right called y, draw an axis diagonally downward toward the left and call it x... not sure if these are right since so long ago that I did these. You can represent three-D points and using drawn guidelines in the axis planes.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  5. Jun 7, 2014 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jun 7, 2014 #5
    Hi, these we're very helpful, but I'm looking for instructions on plotting and conceptualizing space and vector curves rather than single points e.g. ##r(t) = <f(t),g(t),h(t)>##

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook