1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strategy in solving vector equations involving grad, scalar product operators?

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1
    What is the general strategy in solving vector equations involving grad and the scalar product?

In particular, I want to express [itex]\Lambda[/itex] in terms from [itex] \mathbf U \cdot \nabla\Lambda = \Phi[/itex] but it looks impossible, unless there is some vector identity I can use.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi jason12345! :smile:

What you have there is a directional derivative.
    See for instance wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directional_derivative

If U is for instance a unit vector, then:
    [tex]\vec U \cdot \vec\nabla \Lambda(\vec x) = \Phi(\vec x)[/tex]
    is also written as:
    [tex]\vec\nabla_{\vec U} \Lambda(\vec x) = \Phi(\vec x)[/tex]

You can find [itex]\Lambda[/itex] with for instance something like:
    [tex]\Lambda(\vec x) = \int \Phi(\vec x + u \vec U) du[/tex]

4. Jul 3, 2011 #3
    That's given me a lot to think about - thanks!

Maybe I could try for something simpler to start with so:

How would I find [itex]\nabla\Lambda[/itex] as the other terms with [itex]U[/itex] independent of (x,y,z)?

Perhaps I could use some vector identity?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  5. Jul 4, 2011 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I don't think it's possible to solve. There's an infinite number of solutions, even after we disregard the ones that are off by a constant.

To illustrate this, suppose we want to construct a Λ such that U⋅∇Λ=Φ is satisfied. The left hand side is a sum of three terms: Ux*dΛ/dx, Uy*dΛ/dy, and Uz*dΛ/dz. For any point, we literally have absolute power to set dΛ/dx to whatever we want. After that, we have absolute power to choose any value for dΛ/dy. There's an infinite number of choices for dΛ/dx, and for each of those choices, there's an infinite number of choices for the other two derivatives.

This is analogous to a normal dot product, say a*(0,0,1)=0.5. The only thing this equation tells you is that the x component of a is 0.5. The y and z components can be anything, so it's not possible to solve for a in the sense of writing a concise analytical expression that captures all solutions.

6. Jul 5, 2011 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

In the example a*(1,0,0)=0.5 you can indeed say that the x-component is 0.5.
    So the solution is a=(0.5,y,z) with 2 unknown variables y and z.

Similarly, if you know for instance that U=(1,0,0), the expression in the OP ([itex]\boldsymbol U \cdot \nabla \Lambda = \Phi[/itex]) reduces to:
    [tex]\frac {\partial \Lambda} {\partial x} = \Phi[/tex]
    So:
    [tex]\Lambda = \int \Phi dx + C(y,z)[/tex]
    And:
    [tex]\nabla \Lambda = \begin{pmatrix} \Phi(x,y,z) \\ \frac {\partial} {\partial y} C(y,z) \\ \frac {\partial} {\partial z} C(y,z) \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

You can also see here that it is not simpler to solve for [itex]\nabla \Lambda[/itex].
    You need to find [itex]\Lambda[/itex] first.

When U is not aligned with an axis, you will need to make a coordinate transformation in such a way that U is mapped to for instance (1,0,0).
    Then you can use this same procedure.

As yet, I don't have a nice complete formula that includes the coordinate transformation though. That will take a bit of mind-benchpressing first. :smile:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook