Streamlining the alphabet.

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
honestrosewater
Gold Member
fi said:
Oo, just had another thought too, hard to explain though.
Take the relationship between Physics and Physicist, the c, although pronounced differently, helps show the relationship between the words. Would that be as readily apparent if it were fisiks and fisisist?
On second thoughts, 'fisisist' looks pretty good!
Those aren't all /s/'s. The first s is a /z/. :smile: Yes, that might be one point for less accurate spelling. But I wouldn't award it just yet. There are phonological rules that speakers follow, whether they realize it or not. I wonder why the pronunciation changes... edit: maybe the /k/ just faded away... hm. No idea. edit: Hm, bionics (pretend this makes sense, if you must) would change in the same way, bionics --> bionicist (I suppose that's how one should spell it; I'm more certain about how to pronounce it *cough*). Robotics, same deal. Biology --> biologist and geology --> geologist but science --> scientist and chemistry --> chemist. Not sure of the rhyme or reason yet, if there is one... edit: Heh, maybe I was looking at chemistry backwards.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Those aren't all /s/'s. The first s is a /z/. :smile:
I'm not so sure I want to be a fizzy sist anymore. :frown:

El Hombre Invisible said:
I'm not so sure I want to be a fizzy sist anymore. :frown:

I know I do.

Ok, so there are more than just 26 phonems as the IPA alphabet shows. I cannot use the IPA symbols though, my keyboard doesn't have them. But wait a minute: I actually have 52 perfectly good symbols already available if I use the shift key! Neat. We just need to stop using uppercase letters to start proper names. The "sh" sound can be just an uppercase 'S' for example, "th" becomes uppercase 'T' or 'H' or whatever...
As for getting rid of redundant letters like 'c' and 'q' I say don't eliminate them, recycle them into vowels instead. There is a shortage of those. Since the letter 'a' cannot by itself account for both "able" and "apple" we can reuse the 'c' to make "cpple". Since the 'c' looks a bit like the "at" symbol '@', it would sound alike.
This thread is wild!