Strength of magnetic field from a current filled wire at a point

In summary, the conversation discusses the diagram accompanying a question about the magnetic field strength at points 1, 2, and 3. The conversation clarifies that the formula for magnetic field strength at a point is dependent on the direction of the individual fields and suggests using the right hand rule to determine this direction. It also confirms that the equations being used are correct and points out that at point 1, the net field is the difference between the two individual fields because they are pointing in opposite directions.
sbielby413
http://http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1074673/3/knight_Figure_32_14.jpg
that is the diagram that accompanies the question. The 3 parts of the question ask what is the magnetic field strength at points 1, 2 and 3.

I know that B=B_1+B_2+... for each point. In order to find the strength of the field at a point you must take into consideration all forces. I also know that u_0/4pi*(I s cross r/r^2) gives the strength of the magnetic field at a point, as does (u_0*I)/(2*pi*d)

I have attempted the problem several times, and keep using the second equation from above for the points on the outsides of the 2 wires (points 1 and 3). However, I keep getting the answer incorrect. I haven't started point number 2, but I think once I figure out the principle behind points 1 and 3 it will come easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to consider the direction of the individual fields too, not just there magnitudes...if they point in the same direction at a given point, then the net field will be the sum of the two individual fields [itex]B_1+B_2[/itex], but if they are in opposite directions, you will end up with the difference of the two fields [itex]|B_1-B_2|[/itex]...use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the individual fields at each of the points in question.

using the right hand rule, should B for the top wire should point out of the page and the bottom one into the page? my right hand rule is a little rusty.

also, am i using the right equations?

Yes, the field at point 1 due to just the top wire is out of the page...how about the field at point 1 due to just the bottom wire?

it should point into the page

Good, so the fields oppose each other at that point...so what is the net field then?

What is a current filled wire?

A current filled wire is a wire that has an electric current flowing through it.

How is the strength of magnetic field from a current filled wire at a point measured?

The strength of magnetic field from a current filled wire at a point is measured using a device called a magnetometer.

What factors affect the strength of magnetic field from a current filled wire at a point?

The strength of magnetic field from a current filled wire at a point can be affected by the strength of the current, the distance from the wire, and the material of the wire.

How does the direction of the current affect the strength of magnetic field from a current filled wire at a point?

The direction of the current in a wire affects the direction of the magnetic field around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field is strongest when the current is perpendicular to the wire.

Can the strength of magnetic field from a current filled wire be increased?

Yes, the strength of magnetic field from a current filled wire can be increased by increasing the strength of the current or by using a wire with a higher conductivity material.