Stress energy tensor of a rotating hoop

In summary: The energy density of the rotating hoop has been given in strange units that look [to me] like:kg*differential_area/(contracted_circumference*dilated_second) (or, kg*m/s).
jdstokes
This problem comes from the GR problem book, question 5.1 (b).

The setup is a ring of N identical masses rotating in the x-y plane at a distance [itex]a[/itex] from the origin. Assume that N is large enough so the ring may be treated as continuous. Ignore the stress energies keeping the particles in orbit.

According to the solution, the energy density of the ring is

[itex]T^{00} = \frac{Nm\delta(r - a)\delta(z)}{2\pi a\gamma}[/itex].

I'm having trouble understanding why this is the case. It is certainly true that for a stationary ring the rest-energy density is

[itex]\rho_0 = \frac{Nm\delta(r-a)\delta(z)}{2\pi a}[/itex]

which can be easily seen by integrating over all of space in cylindrical coordinates. Alternatively it can be shown using the fact that [itex]\rho_0 2\pi r dr dz = Nm[/itex] and then dividing through by the infinitesimal [itex]2\pi r dr dz[/itex].

Why would it be that the energy density decreases as the angular velocity is increased?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like I must have miss-read the solution. I think the idea is to realize that since there is no change to the volume of the ring, the rest-energy density picks up a factor of [itex]\gamma[/itex] as opposed to [itex]\gamma^2[/itex] which would be the case for a contracted rod e.g.

jdstokes said:
It looks like I must have miss-read the solution. I think the idea is to realize that since there is no change to the volume of the ring, the rest-energy density picks up a factor of [itex]\gamma[/itex] as opposed to [itex]\gamma^2[/itex] which would be the case for a contracted rod e.g.

It appears to me that the contracted circumference is [itex]\frac{2\pi a}{\gamma}[/itex].

Regards,

Bill

I thought perpendicular motion is unaffected by Lorentz contraction? Since the radius is everywhere perpendicular to the direction of motion it should remain constant and consequently so should the circumference?

jdstokes said:
I thought perpendicular motion is unaffected by Lorentz contraction? Since the radius is everywhere perpendicular to the direction of motion it should remain constant and consequently so should the circumference?

Is it not true that a differential element along the circumference is parallel to velocity at that point?

Regards,

Bill

True, but I can't seem to reconcile this with the radius problem. Clearly one quantity can't change without affecting the other.

In any case, if what you purport is true, then the factor of [itex]\gamma[/itex] on the denominator would cancel the [itex]\gamma[/itex] coming from the energy implying that the energy density is independent of angular velocity (false).

For reference, the expression given for [itex]T^{00}[/itex] in the book is

[itex]T^{00}= \frac{\gamma Nm\delta(r-a)\delta(z)}{2\pi a}[/itex].

What I can't understand is why they claim that

[itex]\rho_0 = \frac{Nm\delta(r-a)\delta(z)}{2\pi a\gamma}[/itex]

(note the gamma on the denominator). Surely the rest-mass density should be independent of gamma as I indicated in the OP.

After reading a bit more about this, it turns out that the circumference does indeed contract and the radius remains constant. This can happen because of the fact that the measurement of the radius requires the addition of distances made over a continuum of different frames of reference while the radius is measured in one, comoving frame.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=84734

This implies that the reasoning of my earlier post is incorrect.

Here is the justification given by Lightman et al.

Suppose we are in the frame where the disc rotates with angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex]. The total energy of the disc is [itex]N m \gamma[/itex]. Thus

[itex]T^{00} 2\pi r dr dz = N m \gamma \implies T^{00} = \frac{Nm\gamma\delta(r-a)\delta(z)}{2\pi a}[/itex].

The confusing thing is why they use [itex]2\pi r[/itex] even though the disc is rotating so its circumference is contracted to [itex]2\pi r/\gamma[/itex]. It looks like the authors have made a mistake here.

A further piece of evidence suggesting that the authors are in error is their bizarre expression for [itex]\rho_0[/itex] which they conclude depends on the inverse of gamma. If one assumes that the circumference contracts, one will find that [itex]\rho_0[/itex] is indeed independent of gamma as it should be.

Interesting.

If the radius decreases and the circumfernece does not, this implies that the space-time is curved. Cosidering we have accelerating frames this is not a surprise.

The best paper I've seen on rotating frames is here ( reprinted this year)

arXiv:gr-qc/9805089

but they don't look at the SET so maybe not relevant.

Mentz114 said:
If the radius decreases and the circumfernece does not, this implies that the space-time is curved.

The problem at hand appears to be the opposite - the circumference contracts, but the radius does not.

The energy density of the rotating hoop has been given in strange units that look [to me] like:

kg*differential_area/(contracted_circumference*dilated_second) (or, kg*m/s).

I'm out of my league here, so don't assume "dilated_second" is where the extra gamma comes from.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,
The problem at hand appears to be the opposite - the circumference contracts, but the radius does not.
Well, same conclusion, different sign of curvature. Actually I calculated the Riemann tensor for the 2-d rotating disc and of course it is all zero so curvature is irrelevant it seems.

This topic was covered about a year ago by Pervect and others but I can't find the post.

Mentz114 said:
... tensor for the 2-d rotating disc and of course it is all zero so curvature is irrelevant it seems.

I don't know if it matters, but the differential element in z seems to indicate 3-d (i.e. a differential segment along the length of a cylinder).

Regards,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,
that's the one. I'm sorry the paper I cited isn't relevant, being more about the relativity of rotating frames. Worth finding that thread though, it's got some big guns.

I don't know if it matters, but the differential element in z seems to indicate 3-d (i.e. a differential segment along the length of a cylinder).
Yes, that might make a difference. No time to play with it now, unfortunately.

M

Getting back to the OT, the solution is now to clear to me.

Since the hoop is rotating at a radius [itex]a[/itex] from the origin in the lab frame, the circumference is dilated in the frame of the hoop to [itex]2\pi a \gamma[/itex], but the radius remains fixed at [itex]a[/itex]. Thus the rest-mass density must be

[itex]\rho_0 = \frac{Nm \delta(r-a) \delta(z)}{2\pi a \gamma}[/itex].

At each point along the hoop, the the constituents of the hoop may be regarded as dust traveling with velocity tangential to the hoop. The energy density of the hoop is thus given by 00 component of [itex]\rho_0 u\otimes u[/itex], ie

[itex]T^{00} = \gamma^2 \rho_0 = \frac{\gamma Nm \delta(r-a) \delta(z)}{2\pi a} [/itex]

What is the stress energy tensor of a rotating hoop?

The stress energy tensor of a rotating hoop is a mathematical representation of the distribution of energy and momentum within a rotating hoop. It takes into account both the rotational motion and the mass of the hoop.

How is the stress energy tensor of a rotating hoop calculated?

The stress energy tensor of a rotating hoop is calculated by using the equations of general relativity, specifically the Einstein field equations. These equations take into account the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of the hoop's mass and rotational motion.

What does the stress energy tensor of a rotating hoop tell us?

The stress energy tensor of a rotating hoop provides important information about the physical properties of the hoop, such as its energy density, pressure, and shear stress. It also gives insight into the gravitational effects of the hoop's rotation on the surrounding spacetime.

Why is the stress energy tensor of a rotating hoop important?

The stress energy tensor of a rotating hoop is important in understanding the behavior of rotating objects in the universe. It is also crucial in studying the effects of gravity on rotating bodies, which is essential in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

Can the stress energy tensor of a rotating hoop be applied to other rotating objects?

Yes, the stress energy tensor of a rotating hoop can be applied to other rotating objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. However, the calculations may differ depending on the specific characteristics of each object.