String theory

Apparently, it is difficult to reconcile a champion of this theory and the opposition. I would enjoy hearing views on this, since I am convinced the general scientific community is above condemning those with different approaches/beliefs to those of the mainstream.

So, who believes string theory is correct, for want of better word? I myself as a beginner would like to hear a definition as well, if possible... what are the main ideas? Is it designed to combine quantum theory and gravity? And what are the alternatives? Lots of questions... sorry!

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Your question has been moved to the appropriate forum. Please browse previous threads in that forum. There are already numerous discussion on this very topic.

Zz.

My guess would be no, but I don't really know enough about it to have a strong opinion. Its just because of the lack of experimental evidence supporting it. We may never be able to see strings because they are so small, so its hard to really say that they really exists. But, as history has shown us, plenty of theories turn out to be true without experimental evidence for years after their proposal(GR for example), so who knows?

I'm not sure I understand the concept of strings. Are they physcially present, or purely conceptual? That may be a silly question...

Wait, yes, that is extremely silly. Of course they aren't purely conceptual... oh dear.

However, majority of theorethical physicists work on string theory.

I'm not sure I understand why. Are there no more easily verifiable theories? As I understand it, it would be nigh on impossible to either prove or disprove string theory. Generally, a theory must be backed by an experiment that produces quantifiable results.

There are testable predictions of string theory, they're just not testable now or they are being worked on. I'm not well-versed enough in string theory or mathematical physics in general to be able to explain fully what these are, but I will refer you to Lubos' blog (I know a lot of people aren't fans, but I think he explains things well enough without leaving out the mathematics (however over my head they might be, I like to know it's there)). Here's an article about what experimental evidence could disprove string theory from a while back:

http://motls.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-experiment-would-disprove-string.html

However, majority of theorethical physicists work on string theory.

I don't think so.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand why. Are there no more easily verifiable theories? As I understand it, it would be nigh on impossible to either prove or disprove string theory. Generally, a theory must be backed by an experiment that produces quantifiable results.

I believe it can also be proved in a sense if it can accurately predict phenomena or produce answers to previously unanswerable questions, as far as I understand at least.