Strong electromagnet with a constant field

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a strong electromagnet to create a repulsive force on a metal object by introducing it into a magnetic field with eddy currents. The conversation also touches on similar real-life applications and provides a mathematical explanation for the phenomenon. The conversation also discusses the use of repulsion-start induction-run motors and the potential for using 2-S aluminum for its conductivity to mass ratio.
ThoughtProces
Hi, so i had an assumption and wanted to see if my assumption was correct so here goes.

If we have a rather strong electromagnet with a constant field, when a metal object is introduced to the field, eddies form in the metal creating a magnetic field of opposite polarity.

If a second electromagnet were present, but with substantially more power, was pulsed so that the polarity of the magnetic field is the same as the first, would there be any noticeable force exerted on the metal object entering the first magnetic field?

just a curiosity any thought and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

sry, to correct, the second magnet would create a pulse with polarity opposite to the first magnet. and would there be a repulsive force exerted on the object?

I'm not sure of your proposed application or your level of knowledge, but there is a similar application that you might want to Google. NASA has long used magnetic suspension systems for holding test models in wind tunnels without having to use a sting. Some of their work should relate very closely to what you're seeking.

Eddy currents are usually thought of as being only dissipative, like in transformer laminations. However what you are studying does have some real life applications. First, a little math (sorry).

Suppose in cylindrical coordinates we have the field Bz and dBz/dt (sorry,I can't type partials) along z, and the other components of B being zero. Let's consider a ring of copper or aluminum in the r, theta plane (perpendicular to z axis). The dBz/dt is generating currents around the ring. There is no force along z, because The Lorentz force equation requires either a theta or r component of B to produce a force along z. The Bz field is trying to crush the ring. If the ring were tilted, then there will be a torque on it. However, if Bz = Bz0 - Bz1 z (decreasing with increasing z), then there will be a radial component of B (from Div B = 0) which combines with the induced azimuthal current in the ring that will force the ring upward (sometimes violently).

Many years ago, before World War I, there were single-phase fractional-horsepower induction motors called repulsion-start motors, that had low-resistance eddy-current coils on the armature which were shorted by brushes on a commutator for high starting torque. The starting torque was superior to the modern capacitor-start induction motor, and had lower starting surge currents. But they were expensive motors to build, and were phased out as capacitors became cheaper. See attached photo of the radial commutator in a fractional HP induction motor (circa 1915).

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Motor Repulsion 004.jpg
    Motor Repulsion 004.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 443

Bob what I think you are referring to is a repulsion-start induction-run motor right? These started as a universal motor (series I believe) and when up to speed a centifugal switch shorted out the commutator so the armature 'appeared' the same way the rotor in a more modern induction motor 'appears'. Unless you are referring to something different? There are motors like this around that are much newer than WW1.

so i think you guys may have mis understood me, let's take what i described in my previous post. that metal object that is being introduced into the magnetic field is free falling, much like if you've ever seen in a physics lecture, where an aluminum bar is dropped through a strong magnetic field and is slowed due to the eddy currents forming as the object passes through the lines of magnetic force. with the same principal in mind we add a very strong electromagnet that will pulse, with a field that is opposite in polarity to the field set up by the eddy currents forming in the falling object, effectively creating a repulsive force. I want to know if this is a plausible idea or if I've just crossed my wires...sry for the sick pun.

See picture for basic setup of free falling object into first coils magnetic field.

Attachments

• crudedrawing.bmp
    291.2 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:

It looks like The Machine from the movie "Contact"

Averagesupernova said:
Bob what I think you are referring to is a repulsion-start induction-run motor right?
Yes, the motor I pictured is repulsion start, induction run.
Averagesupernova said:
These started as a universal motor (series I believe) and when up to speed a centifugal switch shorted out the commutator so the armature 'appeared' the same way the rotor in a more modern induction motor 'appears'. Unless you are referring to something different? There are motors like this around that are much newer than WW1.
The centrifugal switch on the motor pictured retracts the shorting (grounded) brushes on the radial commutator to disconnect the repulsion start when the motor approaches full speed.. The squirrel cage on the rotor are always connected. It is not an AC/DC (universal motor) that has powered windings on the armature. Century Electric I think stopped making repulsion-start motors about WWI, but other brands did continue into the Depression (and maybe until WW II). I happen to have a depression-era Delta Mfg. Co bandsaw that belonged to my granfather that has a monster 1/2 HP repulsion start motor.

ThoughtProces said:
so i think you guys may have mis understood me, let's take what i described in my previous post. that metal object that is being introduced into the magnetic field is free falling, much like if you've ever seen in a physics lecture, where an aluminum bar is dropped through a strong magnetic field and is slowed due to the eddy currents forming as the object passes through the lines of magnetic force. with the same principal in mind we add a very strong electromagnet that will pulse, with a field that is opposite in polarity to the field set up by the eddy currents forming in the falling object, effectively creating a repulsive force.
I think I understand the physics in your example, and I think I have reduced the principle to the simplest form. 2-S (commercially pure) Aluminum is best, based on ratio of conductivity to mass. Also a hollow tube is better than a solid tube because the eddy current induction depends on area, not diameter. The simplest of all is a very short tube (ring). If a conducting object is in a pulsed magnetic field, the magnetic fields will interact with the currents in the object, whatever they are. The pulsed field will always generate (more) currents, and the object will move or rotate to minimize the area of the induced currents exposed to the pulsed field. It certainly helps to already have eddy currents in the object when the field is pulsed. In my physics class, I saw an object (ring) hit the ceiling.

what about any metal object? ferromagnetic, diamagnetic and paramagnetic, can they all be affected by this means of repulsion, the aluminum bar through a field was just an example.

ThoughtProces said:
what about any metal object? ferromagnetic, diamagnetic and paramagnetic, can they all be affected by this means of repulsion, the aluminum bar through a field was just an example.

The short answer is yes. But they will just interact to different extents.

Electromagnetics

HI DEARS,

Could u pls help me.
I have modeled a multilayer waveguide using comsol/RF module/harmonics propagation/ I have solved it and everything is ok but I do not know how I can plot the electric field versus x, y or z. I have the results in eaxh of the tree plane but I need to plot the Ey vesrus x.

thanks for your help.

What is a strong electromagnet with a constant field?

A strong electromagnet with a constant field is a type of electromagnet that produces a consistent magnetic field that does not vary in strength or direction. This is achieved by using a direct current (DC) power supply to energize the electromagnet's coils, allowing it to maintain a constant magnetic field.

How does a strong electromagnet with a constant field work?

A strong electromagnet with a constant field works by using an electrical current to create a magnetic field. This is achieved by wrapping wire around a ferromagnetic core and passing an electrical current through the wire. The magnetic field created by the current causes the ferromagnetic core to become magnetized, producing a strong magnetic field that remains constant as long as the current is flowing.

What are the advantages of using a strong electromagnet with a constant field?

There are several advantages to using a strong electromagnet with a constant field. These include its ability to produce a consistent and stable magnetic field, its high strength compared to other types of magnets, and its ability to be turned on and off with ease using a DC power supply.

What are some common uses for strong electromagnets with a constant field?

Strong electromagnets with a constant field have a wide range of applications, including in research laboratories, industrial settings, and medical devices. They are commonly used in particle accelerators, MRI machines, and magnetic separators, among other things.

How can the strength of a strong electromagnet with a constant field be increased?

The strength of a strong electromagnet with a constant field can be increased by using a higher voltage power supply, increasing the number of coils in the wire, and using a stronger ferromagnetic core material. However, it is important to note that there are limits to how much the strength can be increased before the electromagnet reaches its maximum capacity.