Quantam Vacuum - Strong Electric fields.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum theory of the vacuum and its relation to the behavior of electrons and positrons. The speaker proposes that the vacuum must be similar to a field of dipoles, and suggests that the vacuum field can sustain an electric field through the population of dipoles. They also mention the effects of a magnetic field on the movement of electron-positron pairs in the vacuum.
Adrenaline_
Hello,

I am not yet well-versed in quantum theory of the vacuum, but I certainly have encountered it everywhere I have turned in my studies. Since my electron paper is unwieldy I want to run by folks my thoughts of percolations in the vacuum. So many people have spoken of "electrons and positrons popping in and out", I used to hate this line. Now, it's clear the vacuum must be something like this.
Given an electron field, at smaller and smaller distances the electric field gets very high. Consider the possible effects of combing the populations of dipoles of the virtual field. Picture the electron on the left of the page. Now consider the fates of dipole pairs nearby, of different orientations. I presume the vacuum cooks up a random offering. For any pair with the electron further away to the right, and the + charge closer in, consider the force on the particles separately, and then as a pair. In this case, the + is attracted inward, but the - is repelled, to a lesser extent. Therefore, as a unit the dipole will be pulled in a bit in its brief life. The +/- will be slightly separated so its lifetime will be longer. The opposite case behaves oppositely: the -/+ are speeded to annihilation.
Divergence of the field is posited to "charge" . Realize also, that given a polarization field with divergence, its negative also constitutes a charge field. See, then, that if the vacuum field is 'combed' as I described, there well be a net population of dipoles acting favorably to sustain the electric field. Now consider the +/- pair migrating a bit inward. If there is a poloidal magnetic field, as the particles cross it they will be accelerated oppositely, and sideways. This is harmonious with the current flow assumed in my inhomogeneous model.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adrenaline_ said:
Hello,

I am not yet well-versed in quantum theory of the vacuum, but I certainly have encountered it everywhere I have turned in my studies. Since my electron paper is unwieldy I want to run by folks my thoughts of percolations in the vacuum. So many people have spoken of "electrons and positrons popping in and out", I used to hate this line. Now, it's clear the vacuum must be something like this.
Given an electron field, at smaller and smaller distances the electric field gets very high. Consider the possible effects of combing the populations of dipoles of the virtual field. Picture the electron on the left of the page. Now consider the fates of dipole pairs nearby, of different orientations. I presume the vacuum cooks up a random offering. For any pair with the electron further away to the right, and the + charge closer in, consider the force on the particles separately, and then as a pair. In this case, the + is attracted inward, but the - is repelled, to a lesser extent. Therefore, as a unit the dipole will be pulled in a bit in its brief life. The +/- will be slightly separated so its lifetime will be longer. The opposite case behaves oppositely: the -/+ are speeded to annihilation.
Divergence of the field is posited to "charge" . Realize also, that given a polarization field with divergence, its negative also constitutes a charge field. See, then, that if the vacuum field is 'combed' as I described, there well be a net population of dipoles acting favorably to sustain the electric field. Now consider the +/- pair migrating a bit inward. If there is a poloidal magnetic field, as the particles cross it they will be accelerated oppositely, and sideways. This is harmonious with the current flow assumed in my inhomogeneous model.

In a magnetic field of 10^15 gauss electron-positron pairs will form spontaneously in a vacuum.

Though this seems not to be your question, it is the best I can do.

1. What is a quantum vacuum?

A quantum vacuum, also known as the vacuum state, is the lowest possible energy state of a quantum field. It is characterized by the absence of particles and the presence of virtual particles that constantly pop in and out of existence.

2. How are strong electric fields related to the quantum vacuum?

In the quantum vacuum, strong electric fields can give rise to the creation of real particles through a process called vacuum polarization. This occurs when the electric field interacts with the virtual particles, causing them to become real and measurable.

3. What are the implications of studying strong electric fields in the quantum vacuum?

Studying strong electric fields in the quantum vacuum can provide insights into the fundamental properties of matter and the nature of space-time. It can also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and particle accelerators.

4. Can strong electric fields in the quantum vacuum be observed?

While the effects of strong electric fields in the quantum vacuum can be observed indirectly, they cannot be directly observed due to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. However, scientists can use sophisticated experiments and mathematical models to study and understand these phenomena.

5. How does the study of strong electric fields in the quantum vacuum contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By studying strong electric fields in the quantum vacuum, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that govern the universe. This knowledge can also help us understand the origins of the universe and potentially lead to new discoveries and technologies.