Strong Induction Proof with a Floor

In summary: And there's something wrong with what you're putting inside the induction step. You're doing something like"suppose that for some integer k the IH is true for every integer 2 <= m < k" which is much weaker. But it's hard to say exactly what's going wrong until you fix the IH.Yes, that's the basic structure, but the details matter. It should take the form "suppose that for some integer k the IH is true for every integer 2 <=...". And there's something wrong with what you're putting inside the induction step. You're doing something like"suppose that for some integer k the IH is true for every integer 2 <= m <
Temp0

Homework Statement

are[/B]
an = afloor(n-2) + afloor(2n/3) + n
a0 = 1
Prove that for all n ≥ 3, an > 4n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is induction, I start out with a base case:
Base Case (n = 3):
a3 = a1 + a2 + 3 = 3 + 8 + 3 = 14
4(n) = 4(3) = 12
14 > 12
Therefore, the base case is true. a3 > 4(3)

Inductive Hypothesis: Let some integer m ≥ 3 and assume am > 4m for all integers m. Also assume there is an integer k, where k > 4, so that 3 ≤ m ≤ k

Inductive Step:
We want to prove that ak+1 > 4(k+1)
Starting out with writing the equation of ak+1:
ak+1 = afloor( (k+1) / 2 ) + afloor( 2(k+1)/3 ) + k + 1
By the inductive hypothesis: Since floor( (k+1)/2 ) and floor (2(k+1)/3) are both between 3 and k, we can assume that:
afloor( (k+1) / 2 ) and afloor( 2(k+1)/3 ) are both greater than 4 floor( (k + 1)/2) and 4floor( 2(k+1)/3) respectively. Therefore, all I have to do is prove that:

4 floor ( (k + 1)/2) + 4 floor ( 2(k+1)/3) + k + 1 > 4(k+1)
However, I am stuck on this step, I know I just have to simplify this equation, but up until now, I've been proving these types of equations without the floor in it, so I can just simplify with algebra and prove the inequality. Could anyone clarify how I would continue this solution? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Temp0 said:
Inductive Hypothesis: Let some integer m ≥ 3 and assume am > 4m for all integers m. Also assume there is an integer k, where k > 4, so that 3 ≤ m ≤ k
That could be worded rather better. It doesn't say what you need it to say.
Temp0 said:
Inductive Step:
We want to prove that ak+1 > 4(k+1)
Starting out with writing the equation of ak+1:
ak+1 = afloor( (k+1) / 2 ) + afloor( 2(k+1)/3 ) + k + 1
By the inductive hypothesis: Since floor( (k+1)/2 ) and floor (2(k+1)/3) are both between 3 and k, we can assume that:
afloor( (k+1) / 2 ) and afloor( 2(k+1)/3 ) are both greater than 4 floor( (k + 1)/2) and 4floor( 2(k+1)/3) respectively. Therefore, all I have to do is prove that:

4 floor ( (k + 1)/2) + 4 floor ( 2(k+1)/3) + k + 1 > 4(k+1)
However, I am stuck on this step, I know I just have to simplify this equation, but up until now, I've been proving these types of equations without the floor in it, so I can just simplify with algebra and prove the inequality. Could anyone clarify how I would continue this solution? Thank you in advance.
What's a lower bound for floor((n+1)/2)?

Hmm I'm not sure, I don't think I've ever learned that yet, and I'm trying to figure it out now. So far, what I know about the boundaries of floors is this:

If x is some real number, and the floor of x is n, then n ≤ x < n+1

Also, could you clarify on how my induction hypothesis is bad?

Edit: Now that I think about it, could the lower bound of a floor be x - 1? Then the inequality would look like:

x - 1 ≤ n ≤ x < n+1

Temp0 said:
Edit: Now that I think about it, could the lower bound of a floor be x - 1?
Yes.
Temp0 said:
Also, could you clarify on how my induction hypothesis is
You wrote "assume am > 4m for all integers m (>2)", but that is what you are trying to prove. Then "assume there exists k >= n", which is vacuously true. There should be an upper bound on m, namely, k.

Hmm, I see, but don't I say that at the end when I put

3 ≤ m ≤ k ?

Temp0 said:
Hmm, I see, but don't I say that at the end when I put

3 ≤ m ≤ k ?
No. You wrote
Temp0 said:
assume there is an integer k, where k > 4, so that 3 ≤ m ≤ k
I.e., you have picked some integer m and are now "assuming" there is a larger one. How could there not be a larger one?
Please try to rewrite your inductive hypothesis correctly. It is important to be able to get this right.

Ohh, I see! Yup, my professor usually writes it like that so I guess I copied him, it does make sense, there is always a larger number so I guess it's pointless to assume there to be a larger one.

Temp0 said:
Ohh, I see! Yup, my professor usually writes it like that so I guess I copied him, it does make sense, there is always a larger number so I guess it's pointless to assume there to be a larger one.
Ok, so can you figure out how to write it correctly? The style is pretty standard.

Hmm it's kind of hard because my induction hypothesis came from my notes where the general idea was to assume that everything within the range of the lower boundary to the upper boundary (k) is assumed to be true, and then I needed to prove that the equation works for k + 1 in my induction step. Which is why I put the whole assume am > 4m thing. Don't I need one of these for my hypothesis in strong induction?

Temp0 said:
Hmm it's kind of hard because my induction hypothesis came from my notes where the general idea was to assume that everything within the range of the lower boundary to the upper boundary (k) is assumed to be true, and then I needed to prove that the equation works for k + 1 in my induction step. Which is why I put the whole assume am > 4m thing. Don't I need one of these for my hypothesis in strong induction?
Yes, that's the basic structure, but the details matter. It should take the form "suppose that for some integer k the IH is true for every integer 2 <= m < k". Do you see the difference? Basically, you must pick the upper limit first.

Ohh, i didn't know that mattered, I'll keep that in mind for all future proofs, I think i have the right idea now, i'll just put it onto paper and see if I can solve it and the other problems. Thank you very much for all the assistance!

Temp0 said:
Ohh, i didn't know that mattered
I don't want you to get the impression this is just a matter of style. It's a matter of constructing a logical argument. The way you posted it, the logic does not work at all.

Related to Strong Induction Proof with a Floor

1. What is "Strong Induction Proof with a Floor"?

"Strong Induction Proof with a Floor" is a method of mathematical induction that is used to prove statements about integers that have a lower bound, or "floor". It is an extension of regular mathematical induction, which only works for statements about positive integers.

2. How does "Strong Induction Proof with a Floor" work?

The basic idea behind "Strong Induction Proof with a Floor" is to prove that a statement is true for all integers greater than or equal to a certain "floor" value. This is done by first proving the statement for the floor value, and then assuming it is true for all integers up to a certain value and using that assumption to prove it for the next integer. This process is repeated until the statement is proven for all integers greater than or equal to the floor value.

3. When is "Strong Induction Proof with a Floor" used?

"Strong Induction Proof with a Floor" is typically used when proving statements about integers that have a lower bound, such as when dealing with sequences, divisibility, or inequalities. It is especially useful when the statement involves multiple integers or when the relationship between the integers is not immediately obvious.

4. What are the key differences between "Strong Induction Proof with a Floor" and regular mathematical induction?

The main difference between "Strong Induction Proof with a Floor" and regular mathematical induction is the inclusion of a lower bound, or "floor" value. Regular mathematical induction only works for statements about positive integers, while "Strong Induction Proof with a Floor" can be used for statements about any integer greater than or equal to the floor value.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using "Strong Induction Proof with a Floor"?

One common mistake to avoid is assuming that the statement is true for all integers without explicitly proving it for the floor value. It is also important to ensure that the assumption of the statement being true for all integers up to a certain value is used correctly in the proof. Additionally, it is important to clearly define the floor value and any other relevant variables in the statement before beginning the proof.