Strongest compressive strength material

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi guys,

Would like to know what's the highest compressive strength ever measured in any material, and what material that might be. Specifically wondering if there are any materials with gigapascal-level compressive strengths. Thanks!

Rgds,
Wally

Answers and Replies

Danger
Gold Member
Do you mean actually physically measured as opposed to calculated? If not, neutronium would pretty much take the prize.

Do you mean actually physically measured as opposed to calculated? If not, neutronium would pretty much take the prize.
Oops, guess I should have clarified: I'm looking for man-made materials, so neutronium doesn't count (for now...).

Oops, guess I should have clarified: I'm looking for man-made materials, so neutronium doesn't count (for now...).
Of course, if there are any natural materials that are stronger but that we've actually physically measured those work as well.

Danger
Gold Member
Got it. I can't help. A structural engineer will know. Hang on for a while and one will show up.

I would think it would be some sort of ceramic material. From the small amount of material specs I've looked at, I think diamond is the highest compression allowable I've seen (>110 GPa), but in a more cost-effective setting aluminum oxide (alumina) has a decently high compression allowable.