Stuck on a flyback transformer project

In summary, the conversation is about someone wanting to use a flyback transformer as a power source but not knowing how to do it safely. They are looking for a tutorial that specifically addresses a flyback with three chords. However, the responder advises against attempting this project due to the potential danger and suggests starting with low-voltage projects instead. The conversation is then closed.
daschramm
i have a question if i may i have a flyback I am trying to turn into a power source but all the tutorials show a flyback that is way different than mine there's only has one wire out of the top mine has three one from the top and two on the side labeled screen and focus i really need a high voltage power supply but don't want to hurt myself does anyone know of a tutorial for one with three chords ??

Engineering news on Phys.org
daschramm said:
i have a question if i may i have a flyback I am trying to turn into a power source but all the tutorials show a flyback that is way different than mine there's only has one wire out of the top mine has three one from the top and two on the side labeled screen and focus i really need a high voltage power supply but don't want to hurt myself does anyone know of a tutorial for one with three chords ??

Welcome to the PF.

Sorry, given your lack of experience, it would be very dangerous for you to be making your own high voltage power supply out of an old TV flyback transformer. Those things can be lethal when used incorrectly. You should also be focusing on low-voltage projects, until you gain more experience building circuits. Thread is closed.

Likes dlgoff and davenn

What is a flyback transformer?

A flyback transformer is a type of electrical transformer that is commonly used in electronic circuits to convert a high-voltage, low-current input to a low-voltage, high-current output. It uses the principle of electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from the primary winding to the secondary winding.

Why am I stuck on my flyback transformer project?

There could be several reasons why you may be stuck on your flyback transformer project. Some possible reasons could include incorrect wiring, faulty components, or improper circuit design. It is important to carefully troubleshoot and analyze each step of your project to determine the specific issue.

How do I test a flyback transformer?

The most common way to test a flyback transformer is by using an oscilloscope. You can connect the primary and secondary windings of the transformer to the oscilloscope and measure the output waveform. This will allow you to determine if the transformer is functioning properly and if there are any issues with the circuit.

What safety precautions should I take when working with a flyback transformer?

Flyback transformers can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to always work with the transformer powered off and unplugged from the power source. Additionally, make sure to discharge any stored electrical energy before working on the transformer. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling the transformer.

Can I modify a flyback transformer for a specific project?

Yes, flyback transformers can be modified for specific projects. However, it is important to understand the principles and limitations of the transformer before making any modifications. Additionally, any modifications should be done carefully and with proper knowledge to ensure safety and functionality.