1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on the derivation of pV^gamma=c

1. Dec 23, 2014 #1
    I have been tearing my hair out for a while over a step in the proof of the relation [itex]pV^{\gamma}=constant[/itex]. The textbook has assumed that we are dealing with an ideal gas undergoing an adiabatic process. Therefore [itex]dQ=0[/itex] and we get

$$C_vdT + (c_p-c_V)\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right)_pdV=0$$
    which gives
    $$dT=-(\gamma-1)\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right)_pdV$$
    Where $$\gamma=\frac{C_p}{C_V}$$

Now comes the part I don't get. They say that because we are dealing with an ideal gas, we have $$T=pV/nR$$ which gives $$\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right)_p = \frac{T}{V}$$
    Why isn't [itex]\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right)_p=p/nR[/itex]? Is there something obvious I'm missing? Would love to get this cleared up so I can get some sleep tonight.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What's dT? Remember, T is function of both V and P.

4. Dec 23, 2014 #3
    Yes, but p is constant as indicated by the subscript in [itex]\frac{\partial T }{\partial V}_p[/itex].

5. Dec 23, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oops, dragged a "red herring" in front of you. Maybe it's too obvious.
    What's p/nR? Ideal gas. Rearrange things any way you wish, and p/nR is also equal to ____ ?

6. Dec 23, 2014 #5
    T/V. You have my gratitude. I will now shed a tear for all the sleep this trivial thing has cost me.

7. Dec 23, 2014 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Been there, done that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook