1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stuck with a problem on linear thermal expansion of solids

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    stuck with a problem....on linear thermal expansion of solids

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I just read a problem 2day...it's on linear thermal expansion of soild...can anyone guide me through....it says..." A sqaure ABCD is made with two different metals...the coefficient of thermal expansion of the metal which made AB & CD is alpha (don't know how to type alpha) & the same of the metal which made BC & AD is beta (??)..Now if the temperature of the system is increased by t. then prove the angle between the diagonals will change by (alpha - beta).t/2 " ?????

can u pls help....

thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi subho123! Welcome to PF! :wink:

(have an alpha: α :wink:)

The square will become a rectangle, and the angle between the diagonals of a rectangle is twice … ? :smile:

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3
    Re: stuck with a problem....on linear thermal expansion of solids

thanks tiny-tm for replying so quickly & helping regarding the symbols...well i had an attempt at this...but the value that i m getting...is (α - B).t which is not desired one....let me tell u what i have done...

let the length of the each side of the square is x...then for the increasement of temp by t the side AB & CD will bcom x(1+α.t) & similarly BC & AD will bcom x(1+β.t)..now after temp increase the sqaure will bcome a rectangle ABCD. let the angle DBC is θ. Now, if the diagonals intersect at P, then clearly the angle DPC is 2θ. and the angle DPC has increased by (2θ - Π/2) for the tmp increased.
    Now from rectangle ABCD we can say..tanθ = x(1+α.t)/x(1+β.t) = (1+α.t)/(1+β.t)= (1+α.t)(1 +β.t)-1 = (1+α.t)(1 -β.t) = {1+(α-β).t} [as α & β are very small so their higher powers are negligible]

now tan2θ = 2{1+(α-β).t} /1 - {1+(α-β).t}2 = -{1+(α-β).t} /(α-β).t}

now let the change in angle = A = (2θ - Π/2)

tanA = tan((2θ - Π/2)= -tan(Π/2 - 2θ) = -cot2θ = (α-β).t /{1+(α-β).t} = (α-β).t{1-(α-β).t} = (α-β).t i have tried upto this is ...now this isn't the answer...will anybody help me...

thanks

5. Apr 13, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi subho123! :smile:

hmm … i make it the same as you …

tanθ = 1 + (α-β).t …

then using calculus (if you haven't done calculus, never mind, it should give the same answer, so it's a good way of checking) …

sec2θ dθ/dt = (α-β), and sec2θ is approximately 2 (because θ is approximately 45º),

so 2dθ/dt = (α-β),

and so the change in 2θ is approximately (α-β)t

6. Apr 13, 2010 #5
    Re: stuck with a problem....on linear thermal expansion of solids

Thanks tiny-tm for the clarification...it seems that the sum has a printing mistake........

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook