Students t-distribution Derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation of the Students t-distribution probability distribution function and the use of the variables Z and W, which are assumed to be independent in the initial equation. The speaker is seeking clarification on where they may have unknowingly used this fact in their derivation.
taper100
I have attempted a derivation of the Students t-distribution probability distribution function in the attached pdf. I defined T to be Z/sqrt(W/v) where Z has standard normal distrubution and W has chi squared distribution with v degrees of freedom. I know that Z and W need to be independent, but I did not use this fact in my derivation. Can someone tell me where I went wrong in the derivation or where I unknowing used this fact in my derivation?

Attachments

• StudentsTDerivation.pdf
    121 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
On the first line,
[tex] P(T\leq t | W = w) = P(\frac{Z}{c} \leq t ) [/tex]
assumes that Z and W are independent already, since you're saying that the probability that Z is smaller than some number is independent of what our measurement of W is.

1. What is the Students t-distribution?

The Students t-distribution is a statistical probability distribution that is used to analyze small sample sizes. It is similar to the normal distribution, but is better suited for smaller samples where the population standard deviation is unknown.

2. Why is the Students t-distribution used?

The Students t-distribution is used because it provides more accurate results when working with small sample sizes. It takes into account the uncertainty of the population standard deviation and allows for a wider range of possible outcomes.

3. How is the Students t-distribution derived?

The Students t-distribution is derived from the standard normal distribution by dividing the difference between the sample mean and the population mean by the standard error of the mean. This results in a distribution with fatter tails, allowing for a better representation of the uncertainty in small sample sizes.

4. What are the assumptions of the Students t-distribution?

The main assumptions of the Students t-distribution are that the data follows a normal distribution, the observations are independent of each other, and the sample is a random sample from the population. Additionally, the sample size should be small (usually less than 30) and the population standard deviation should be unknown.

5. How is the Students t-distribution different from the normal distribution?

The main difference between the Students t-distribution and the normal distribution is that the t-distribution has fatter tails, meaning it allows for a wider range of possible outcomes. This is due to the uncertainty of the population standard deviation in small sample sizes. Additionally, the t-distribution has a parameter called degrees of freedom, which affects the shape of the distribution and is not present in the normal distribution.