Studying for a PhD in GR: Advice & Resources

In summary, it seems that you are looking for recommendations for a complete book on GR, institutions in the UK to study GR, and areas within GR to focus on for a PhD. Based on your background and interests, a strong recommendation is "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler. Top institutions in the UK for studying GR include the University of Cambridge, the University of Oxford, and the University of Edinburgh. For research topics, you could consider numerical relativity, gravitational waves, or black hole thermodynamics or dynamics. Your background in geometry and topology makes you a strong candidate for a PhD in GR, and reaching out to professors and researchers in the field may help you find a suitable program.
tommyj
Hi all, wondering if I might have some advice. I would like to study for a PhD in GR. First things first

1. What would people recommend as a complete book on GR? By complete I mean one that serves as an intro then goes above and beyond, ideally no more than £20!

2. Does anyone have any institutions (in the UK) that they would recommend? I'm aware the GR bubble has burst somewhat.

3. Does anyone have any area of GR they would suggest as being a good area to go into? My favorite is black holes (I'm aware this is a bit vague...). I would be happy to go into either physics or math, but would prefer math (so theoretical physics if anything one imagines) but would also be interested in some numerics (I have seen some titles "Black Hole Accretion Disks" and one to do with orbits of a binary system of black holes, with app. to gravitational waves, a priori these seem really interesting!)

Heres my background; just graduated with an MSCi degree in mathematics from Imperial College London, first class. Taken courses in GR, SR and electromagnetism, geometry of curves and surfaces, manifolds, Riemannian geometry and alegbraic topology (might be useful). My masters project was on the riemannian positive mass theorem and the riemannian penrose inequality. I really enjoyed this, but it was more of a "heres the motivation from physics in the first chapter, rest is geometry" whereas for a PhD I would prefer GR to be the whole way through.

I both look forward and appreciate any help you can give, thanks Tom

note* i have looked into these things myself, I'm not being lazy! just would like to see what more experience and knowledgeable people think

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Tom,

First of all, congratulations on graduating with a first class degree in mathematics from Imperial College London! That is quite an accomplishment and a great foundation for pursuing a PhD in GR.

To answer your questions:

1. For a complete book on GR, I would recommend "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler. It is a classic text that covers all aspects of GR, from the basics to advanced topics. It may be a little over your budget, but it is definitely worth the investment.

2. Some top institutions in the UK for studying GR are the University of Cambridge, the University of Oxford, and the University of Edinburgh. But there are many other universities that also have strong programs in GR, so it's worth researching and considering all your options.

3. Black holes are a fascinating and popular area in GR, so it's a great choice for a research topic. In terms of specific areas, you could look into numerical relativity, which is the study of solving Einstein's equations numerically to simulate black holes and other astrophysical phenomena. Another interesting area is gravitational waves, which have been a hot topic since their recent detection. You could also consider studying the thermodynamics of black holes or the dynamics of accretion disks.

Based on your background and interests, I think you would be a strong candidate for a PhD in GR. Your experience in geometry and topology will definitely be useful in this field. I would recommend reaching out to professors and researchers in the field to discuss your research interests and see if they have any openings for PhD students.

I hope this helps and best of luck in your pursuit of a PhD in GR! It's a challenging but rewarding field to study. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Related to Studying for a PhD in GR: Advice & Resources

What is the process for applying to a PhD program in GR?

The process for applying to a PhD program in GR usually involves submitting an online application, providing transcripts and letters of recommendation, and taking standardized tests such as the GRE. Some programs may also require a statement of purpose or writing sample.

How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in GR?

The length of time it takes to complete a PhD in GR can vary, but on average it takes 4-6 years. This can depend on factors such as the student's research progress, program requirements, and their ability to complete coursework and exams.

What type of coursework can I expect in a PhD program in GR?

A PhD program in GR typically involves a combination of advanced coursework in general relativity, as well as related fields such as mathematics and physics. Students may also be required to complete teaching or research assistantships, and participate in seminars or conferences.

What resources are available for students studying for a PhD in GR?

There are a variety of resources available for students studying for a PhD in GR. These can include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, research journals, and conferences or workshops. Many universities also offer resources such as writing centers and study groups for graduate students.

What advice do you have for someone considering pursuing a PhD in GR?

My advice for someone considering pursuing a PhD in GR would be to carefully research and choose a program that aligns with your research interests and career goals. It's also important to network with other students and researchers in the field, and to stay organized and disciplined in your studies and research. Lastly, don't be afraid to seek guidance and support from your advisors and peers throughout the process.