Studying technological physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's desire to work in a company rather than as a researcher at a university, but is concerned about not having a degree in engineering physics. The individual asks about their chances of getting a job in a major company if they complete their master thesis in nanophysics and are willing to move to another country. The response advises the individual to prioritize what is most important to them and to consider the material physics master program at Uppsala University in Sweden. Links to relevant programs and courses are provided, and the individual is encouraged to contact the speaker for further assistance.
jalalmalo
After completing two years of physics studies on science faculty I realized that I wanted to work out in some company and not as a researcher at the university. But those companies want engineers studying techonolgical physics (there is an education in sweden with that name). I don't want to drop my studies to restart all over again. Here is my question.

If I do my master thesis on nanophysics, what are my chances to get a job in a major company, I'm willing to move to another country.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, in Sweden, I don't think there is that many companies working and researching in nanophysics, you should consult your student-advisor.

I think you first have to make up your mind what is the most important thing:

i) Working at a company
ii) The subject it self.

Is nanophysics the most interesting thing for you, then you should go all the way.

If you have started your eduaction in pure science, then you can always choose such classes that you have almost the same content as the engineering physics students. Like programming etc, but at leat at my university, the more technical classes are only for the engineering physics students. So of course the chance of getting to work at a company increases a lot if you have the proper diploma. But the most important thing is to do what is most fun and interesting and do the best, make sure you get good grades in classes and make an excellent thesis and get good references from professors and scientists.

In sweden, Uppsala university, we have a master program in material physics, which I think will suite you very well! Make sure to get a bachelor degree, and apply for the master program autumn 2010 :-)

here are good links for you (in swedish):
http://www.fysik.uu.se/
http://www.fysik.uu.se/bologna/master/
http://www.uu.se/node605?pKod=TFY2M&lasar=09/10

http://www.teknat.uu.se/cms/node412
(these are just a FEW of the courses they have, they have more which varies from year to year - and those project courses are really good if you want to do more specialized things)

also, please contant me via PM if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand your dilemma and the importance of making career decisions that align with your interests and goals. Studying technological physics is a valuable and versatile field, and I believe that your two years of physics studies have provided you with a strong foundation for pursuing various career paths.

Choosing to do your master's thesis on nanophysics is a great idea, as it will allow you to gain specialized knowledge and skills in a rapidly growing field. This will not only make you a competitive candidate for job opportunities in major companies, but it will also open up possibilities for research positions in universities or government institutions.

In terms of job prospects, the demand for professionals with a background in nanophysics is increasing in various industries, including technology, healthcare, and energy. Companies are constantly seeking individuals who can apply their knowledge of nanophysics to develop innovative solutions and products. Therefore, pursuing a master's thesis in this field can certainly increase your chances of getting a job in a major company.

Additionally, being open to moving to another country can also expand your job opportunities. Many countries, particularly in Europe and Asia, are investing heavily in nanotechnology and have a high demand for skilled professionals in this field. Your willingness to relocate can make you a more attractive candidate for these job opportunities.

Overall, I would encourage you to pursue your master's thesis in nanophysics and continue to explore different job opportunities in major companies. Your background in technological physics combined with specialized knowledge in nanophysics can make you a valuable asset in any company. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

1. What is technological physics?

Technological physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the practical application of physical principles and laws to create and improve technology. It involves the study of various systems and devices, such as electronic circuits, motors, and lasers, and how they function and interact with each other.

2. What is the importance of studying technological physics?

Studying technological physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles behind the technology we use in our daily lives. It also allows us to develop new and innovative technologies that can improve our lives and society as a whole.

3. What are some examples of technological physics in everyday life?

There are numerous examples of technological physics in everyday life, such as the design and functioning of smartphones, televisions, cars, and even simple objects like a lightbulb. Technological physics also plays a crucial role in industries such as energy production, transportation, and healthcare.

4. What skills are required to study technological physics?

To study technological physics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and algebra. It also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Additionally, a good understanding of basic physics principles and their application is essential.

5. What career opportunities are available for those studying technological physics?

Studying technological physics can lead to a wide range of career opportunities, such as research and development positions in industries like electronics, energy, and telecommunications. Other career options include working as a data scientist, software engineer, or technical consultant. Additionally, studying technological physics can also pave the way for further education in fields such as engineering or applied physics.