Solve for n: Positive Integer Sequence with Greatest Divisor and LCM

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, for n=2 there is a sequence of integers-positive so that the greatest num in the set divides the LCM of all the numbers left.
quddusaliquddus
for what values of n (where n is >=2) is there a sequnce of integers-positive so that the greatest num in the set divides the LCM of all the numbers left? :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose n is prime, is there anyway of finding numbers less than n whose product is divisible by n? If n is not prime could you find some constraint on its prime factors?

questions...answers...and questions...

Question 1) I am not sure, but whatever number <= n e.g. M, multiplied by n e.g. M*n should give you a number. Any number divisable by n (prime) would have to have n as a factor wouldn't it? Does this mean you can't have numbers <=n when n is prime whose products are divisable by n?
Question 2) I'll have a look at that. :biggrin:

Well, you initial question starts off by mentioning n, and then doesn't use n at all in the second part when you set up the problem, so it's a little vague. And what sequences are allowed?

I took it to mean: suppose S is some set of numbers between 1 and n (not inclusive of n) wthout repetition. When can the lcm of the elements of S be divisible by n.

If n is prime, there is no subset of 1...n whose lcm is divisible by n, as there is no subset whose product is divisible by n, and the lcm divides the product.

Try it for some examples of n, and please clear up what you mean.

Examples,
n=6 S={2,3} the lcm is divisible by 6
n=9 there is no subset whose lcm is divisible by 9.

ok.......

But do you admit that you say: let n be an integer greater than 2, and then go on to ask a question that is independent of n? Could you rewrite the question?

there's nothing to admit other than i might've done mistakes

Sorry, just trying to get you to say if n is tha largest number in the sequence or if it is the number of terms in the sequence. I couldn't decide what "ok..." meant.

i tried to type "ok" but it didint lemme...i typed some fullstops to satisfy the 12-letter rule (spaces also don't work)

Answer...

I don't know if you guys want to see the answer. But i think I've got it...bty...i didnt do it. Someone else helped me. if anyone's interested in seeing the answer...lemme know. I ask cos its a little long.

You're stilll not to my mind cleared up the question - is n the number of terms in the sequence or the largest term in the sequence? The answer is relatively straight forward in either case.

I wish i could say its easy...lol. n is the number of numbers.

But then unless you define the concept of 'sequence' oddly the answer is all n>2:

let p_i i =1,...n-1 be a set of n-1 distinct primes (this forms a sequence), then p_1, p_2...P_{n-1},q will do where q is the product of p_1...p_{n-1}

This is an answer i got somewhere else. Thought you might like to look at it:

" suppose n=p*q is composite, p,q>1, gcd(p,q)=1. then consider S={1,2,...,n}

then p,q belongs to S
hence p|LCM{1,2,...,n-1}
q|LCM{1,2,...,n-1}

since gcd(p,q)=1, then n=p*q|LCM{1,2,...,n-1}

suppose n=p^k, where p is odd prime
by Catalan's Theorem, then only two powers (greater than 1) differ by 1 is 2^3+1=3^2
and we have p^k+1 is divisible by 2 hence non prime
for the case p=2 k=3, we take {3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}
otherwise
S={2,...,p^k,p^k+1} has p^(2k+1)+1 factors to u,v such that u*v=1 and we are done.

still think about the case where n=p... and n=2^k "

So it looks as though you mean n conescutive numbers then.

yeah.sorry.

Related to Solve for n: Positive Integer Sequence with Greatest Divisor and LCM

1. What are some common examples of simple problems that people get stuck on?

Some common examples include troubleshooting technical issues with electronics, finding the answer to a simple math problem, or figuring out how to fix a household appliance.

2. How can I break down a complicated problem into simpler parts?

One way to break down a complicated problem is to identify the different components and steps involved, and then tackle them one at a time. You can also try visualizing the problem or using diagrams to help simplify it.

3. What are some strategies for solving a problem when I feel stuck?

Some strategies include taking a break and coming back to the problem with fresh eyes, seeking help or advice from others, or trying a different approach or method. It can also be helpful to break the problem into smaller parts and work on them separately.

4. How can I prevent myself from getting stuck on simple problems in the future?

One way to prevent getting stuck on simple problems is to practice problem-solving skills regularly. This can help improve your critical thinking and analytical abilities, making it easier to tackle problems efficiently. It can also be helpful to stay organized and keep track of any patterns or mistakes that may arise in your problem-solving process.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can assist with solving simple problems?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help with solving simple problems. These can include online tutorials, troubleshooting guides, forums or communities for asking questions and getting help, and various software or apps designed for problem-solving. It can also be helpful to have a pen and paper or a whiteboard and markers to jot down ideas and work through the problem visually.