1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid stupid stupid!

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    I found out I could've gotten an A+ in Calc II if i had answered one more problem. I forgot (dont' ask me how) to answer a problem and there was another set of problems that I should've paid more attnetion to. As is, I got an A-. Stupid stupid stupid!!!! :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Been there- done that!

4. Jul 12, 2005 #3
    You'll survive. Still -A is pretty good. I wouldn't be unsatisfied. :smile:

5. Jul 12, 2005 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

forgive me, but i am inclined to think the "stupid" part is caring too much about the difference between an A- and an A+. you will be fine when you get over that.

e.g. I myself got a D- in calculus, but i know something about the subject. it's what you know, not what grade you got that matters.

if you keep the right focus you will be fine, but obsessing on what does not matter can sidetrack people sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2005
  6. Jul 12, 2005 #5
    This reminds me of when I was in 7th grade and didn't care about school whatsoever. I had a D- in History, because of all my missing work. Then, the year after that, in 8th grade, I already knew almost everything taught in history, because I remembered it all. Then again, elementary school didn't matter whatsoever gradewise....but yes, it's not the point that he got an A- that bothers him, but that he could have gotten an A+ very easily. Just like when you make that one stupid mistake on a test and get a 97% instead of a 100%, you would have been happier if the mistake was not so stupid.

7. Jul 12, 2005 #6
    well.. exam isnt just testing your knowledge.. also your careful-ness

8. Jul 12, 2005 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

you're backsliding moose, the point is to get beyond wouldve couldve shouldve.

if you want an A+ then get one, and quit making excuses. But it is much, much harder to go from an A- to an A+ than to go from a C to a B or a D to a C, since in those latter cases any correct answer pulls you up, but in the former, you can't miss anything. It is quite wrong to think it was only a minor matter to get an A+, because you only missed one question. If you had focused on that question you might have missed two others. leon is right about carefulness, and focus.

but I still maintain it is not the most important thing to worry about. forget it, set a new goal, and move on to something that counts.

9. Jul 13, 2005 #8
    yeah i know there's not a real difference. It's usually is a harder to go from an A- to an A+, but here it was a matter of respect towards Calc II, and I didn't have it on the exam. My calc teacher even told me that one problem would've made the difference and he's a stotic Indian dude that doesn't care about the students.

I just felt like pulling my hair out. But what matters is what was said before: it's what you know that counts, not what you score is. And to "get beyond wouldve couldve shouldve." :)

10. Jul 13, 2005 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

good man. you're on track.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?