SU(2) invariance implies isotropy?

In summary: The second statement is clearly true: the energy-momentum tensor is isotropic. But the third statement is more complicated. It is not clear what it would mean for the form of the matter lagrangian to be the same as for a perfect fluid. Maybe it would mean that the energy-momentum tensor is a single tensor of magnitude ##T_{\mu}## through space, or that the matter lagrangian is a function of space and time like a fluid.
JuanC97
Hello guys,
I've came up with three statements in a discussion with a friend where we were trying to check if we had a clear vision of what isotropy and group invariance would imply in an arbitrary theory of gravity at the level of its matter lagrangian. We got stuck at some point so I came here to share the statements hoping to improve the discussion.

Given that SU(2) is homomorphic to SO(3), we were discussing if this statements were True or not:

[1] A SU(2)-invariant matter lagrangian is also invariant under rotations
[2] its energy-momentum tensor is isotropic
[3] it has the same form as the one from a perfect fluid.

The first statement is true without any doubts but, now, in my viewpoint, that would (probably) imply that the spatial part of ##T_{\mu\nu}## is isotropic, in which case, anisotropic stresses would be zero but there would still be chances to have ##T_{i0} \neq 0## meaning that the second statement wouldn't be enough to ensure the third one.

The tough part is the logical relation between the first statement and the second one, my friend claims that the second one is right but he doesn't offer a clear explanation about it. What do you think guys?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
JuanC97 said:
Given that SU(2) is homomorphic to SO(3)

It isn't. These two groups have different topologies, so they can't be homeomorphic. A correct statement is that SU(2) and SO(3) have the same Lie algebra, but that's a weaker condition than being homeomorphic. (That weaker condition might still be enough to ground the reasoning you are attempting.)

JuanC97 said:
Hello guys,
I've came up with three statements in a discussion with a friend where we were trying to check if we had a clear vision of what isotropy and group invariance would imply in an arbitrary theory of gravity at the level of its matter lagrangian. We got stuck at some point so I came here to share the statements hoping to improve the discussion.

Given that SU(2) is homomorphic to SO(3), we were discussing if this statements were True or not:

The first statement is true without any doubts but, now, in my viewpoint, that would (probably) imply that the spatial part of ##T_{\mu\nu}## is isotropic, in which case, anisotropic stresses would be zero but there would still be chances to have ##T_{i0} \neq 0## meaning that the second statement wouldn't be enough to ensure the third one.

The tough part is the logical relation between the first statement and the second one, my friend claims that the second one is right but he doesn't offer a clear explanation about it. What do you think guys?
The thing that confuses me about this is that I don't see how the SU(2) symmetry can apply as a spatial symmetry in three dimensions.

Typically SU(2) is used as a gauge symmetry to describe the symmetries of local interactions, such that fields which obey this symmetry always have a field configuration at every point in space which obeys the symmetry. That statement says nothing about the isotropy or homogeneity of the field, as there are a great many possible field configurations which obey SU(2), and those configurations can vary wildly across space (and time).

How would you write down a field which has an SU(2) spatial symmetry?

kimbyd said:
The thing that confuses me about this is that I don't see how the SU(2) symmetry can apply as a spatial symmetry in three dimensions.
Neither did I, even if I disregard Peter's homeomorphism and return to the original homomorphism, I don't see this mapping. What we have is ##SU(2) \cong SO(4)/SO(3)##. But I haven't checked whether there is some construction I don't know.

JuanC97 said:
Hello guys,

Actually the first statement is not true, at least not for the reason implied. All Lagrangians in QFT are invariant under spatial rotations since they are Lorentz invariant, but that is separate from their internal symmetries, i.e. gauge structure. SU(2) as an internal symmetry means the Langragian is invariant with respect to rotations in *field* space. That is, consider the SU(2) components of your fields as your coordinates, and rotate in *this* space. This is a completely different sort of symmetry to spatial rotations, it just happens to be the case that they are mathematically similar in terms of both being describable as a sort of rotation operation.

If you are talking about in curved space, well I am not sure but I think the same applies. Sure, the lagrangian is invariant under rotations, because it is invariant under general (space-time) coordinate transformations, but that is totally separate matter to the gauge group structure.

Likes JuanC97
PeterDonis said:
It isn't. These two groups have different topologies, so they can't be homeomorphic. A correct statement is that SU(2) and SO(3) have the same Lie algebra, but that's a weaker condition than being homeomorphic. (That weaker condition might still be enough to ground the reasoning you are attempting.)
The OP is referring to "homomorphism", not "homeomorphism".

As I understand the question: su(2) usually acts as a gauge group on some internal configuration space, so(3) usually on spacetime. Different spaces, different indices, so the answer to the first question is a "no".

There is a surjective homomorphism by conjugation ##SU(2,\mathbb{C}) \stackrel{Ad}{\longrightarrow} SO(\mathfrak{su}_\mathbb{R}(2,\mathbb{C}))##, but I'm not sure if it's meant.

1. What is SU(2) invariance?

SU(2) invariance is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe symmetries in a system. It refers to the property of a system remaining unchanged under transformations using the special unitary group SU(2). This group is composed of 2x2 complex matrices with unit determinants.

2. How does SU(2) invariance relate to isotropy?

SU(2) invariance implies isotropy because the group's transformations preserve the isotropic nature of a physical system. This means that the system looks the same in all directions and orientations, regardless of the SU(2) transformations applied to it.

3. What is the significance of SU(2) invariance in physics?

SU(2) invariance is an important concept in theoretical physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and particle physics. It allows for the mathematical description of symmetries in physical systems, which can then be used to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of these systems.

4. Can SU(2) invariance be broken?

Yes, SU(2) invariance can be broken in certain physical systems. This can occur when the system is subjected to external forces or interactions that disrupt the isotropic nature of the system. In such cases, the SU(2) symmetry is said to be spontaneously broken.

5. How is SU(2) invariance related to other symmetry groups?

SU(2) invariance is one of the simplest and most fundamental symmetry groups in physics. It is closely related to other important symmetry groups, such as SU(3) and SO(3), and is often used as a building block for more complex symmetry groups. These groups are used to describe a wide range of physical phenomena, from the behavior of subatomic particles to the properties of crystals.