How Is the Anticommutator Derived in SU(3) Algebra?

This is consistent with the group theory formula for the Casmir of the SU(2) fundamental representation, C_{2}(F) = \frac{3}{4} \ I_{2} = \frac{3}{8} \ \mbox{dim}(F) = \frac{3}{4} .
CAF123
Gold Member
'Using the following normalization in the su(3) algebra ##[\lambda_i, \lambda_j] = 2if_{ijk}\lambda_k##, we see that ##g_{ij} = 4f_{ikl}f_{jkl} = 12 \delta_{ij}## and, by expanding the anticommutator in invariant tensors, we have further that $$\left\{\lambda_i, \lambda_j\right\} = \frac{4}{3}\delta_{ij} + 2d_{ijk}\lambda_k.$$
The first statement about ##g_{ij}## I understand but how did the one about the anticommutator come about?
I can reexpress ##\left\{\lambda_i, \lambda_j\right\} = [\lambda_i, \lambda_j] + 2 \lambda_j \lambda_i = 2if_{ijk}\lambda_k + 2 \lambda_j \lambda_i##. Now, ##\lambda_j \lambda_i## is a second rank tensor so can be written as ##a \delta_{ij}##, for some a. I was thinking I could then consider a single case to determine a (i.e i=j=1) but this didn't work.

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are incorrect to say that ##\lambda_j \lambda_i## can be written as ##a \delta_{i j}##, which explains why your approach didn't work. Unfortunately, I don't know how to prove your identity. What is ##d_{i j k}##?

Hi Jackadsa,
Jackadsa said:
You are incorrect to say that ##\lambda_j \lambda_i## can be written as ##a \delta_{i j}##, which explains why your approach didn't work. Unfortunately, I don't know how to prove your identity. What is ##d_{i j k}##?
Yup, I saw that I was incorrect in that after I posted my thread. ##\delta_{ij}## and ##d_{ijk}## are supposed to be the two invariant tensors for SU(3). In my notes it also says that ##d_{ijk} = \frac{1}{4}\text{Tr} \lambda_i \left\{\lambda_j, \lambda_k\right\}##, so I guess I can use this fact. So then $$d_{ijk} = \frac{1}{4}\text{Tr} \lambda_i ([\lambda_j, \lambda_k] + 2 \lambda_k \lambda_{\ell}) = \frac{1}{4} \text{Tr} \lambda_i (2if_{jk \ell }\lambda_{\ell} + 2 \lambda_k \lambda_{j}) = \frac{i}{2} f_{jk\ell}\text{Tr} \lambda_i \lambda_{\ell} + \frac{1}{2}\text{Tr} (\lambda_i \lambda_k \lambda_j)$$ using the given normalisation of the algebra. Any ideas how to continue?

Thanks!

Any [itex]n \times n[/itex] hermitian matrix [itex]M[/itex] can be expanded in terms of the [itex]n \times n[/itex] hermitian traceless matrices [itex]\lambda^{a}[/itex] , [itex]a = 1,2, \cdots , n^{2}-1[/itex], and the [itex]n \times n[/itex] identity matrix [itex]I_{n}[/itex] as follow
[tex]
M = \frac{1}{n} \mbox{Tr}(M) \ I_{n} + \frac{1}{2} \sum_{c=1}^{n^{2}-1} \mbox{Tr}(M \lambda^{c}) \ \lambda^{c} . \ \ \ (1)
[/tex]
Now, take [itex]M = \{ \lambda^{a} \ , \lambda^{b} \}[/itex] and define the symmetric invariant tensor
[tex]d^{abc} \equiv \frac{1}{4}\mbox{Tr}\left( \{ \lambda^{a} \ , \lambda^{b} \} \lambda^{c} \right) .[/tex] With the [itex]\lambda[/itex]’s normalized according to [itex]\mbox{Tr}(\lambda^{a}\lambda^{b}) = 2 \delta^{ab}[/itex], equation (1) becomes
[tex]\{\lambda^{a} , \lambda^{b} \} = \frac{4}{n} \delta^{ab} \ I_{n} + 2 d^{abc} \lambda^{c} .[/tex]
Adding this to the algebra [itex][\lambda^{a} , \lambda^{b}] = 2 i f^{abc} \lambda^{c}[/itex], and multiplying by another [itex]\lambda[/itex], you get
[tex]\lambda^{a} \lambda^{b} \lambda^{e} = \frac{2}{n} \delta^{ab} \lambda^{e} + (i f^{abc} + d^{abc} ) \ \lambda^{c} \lambda^{e} .[/tex] Taking the trace, you get
[tex]\frac{1}{2} \mbox{Tr} (\lambda^{a} \lambda^{b} \lambda^{c}) = i f^{abc} + d^{abc} .[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes CAF123
Hi samalkhaiat,
samalkhaiat said:
... With the [itex]\lambda[/itex]’s normalized according to [itex]\mbox{Tr}(\lambda^{a}\lambda^{b}) = 2 \delta^{ab}[/itex]...
I see, thanks. The only thing I didn't understand was this statement above^^. In general for any irreducible representation we have that ##\text{Tr}T_a T_b = C(R) \delta_{ab}## where ##C(R)## is the Casimir of the representation. In this case, the ##\lambda_a## constitute the fundamental representation for SU(3) so are indeed irreducible. I am just not sure how to get ##\text{Tr}\lambda_i \lambda_j = 2\delta_{ij}##, i.e showing the casimir of the defining rep of SU(3) is 2. Any ideas on this?

I think I could also obtain the result by writing ##\left\{\lambda_i, \lambda_j\right\} = a\delta_{ij} + b d_{ijk}\lambda_k##, which computing some traces gives me a and b.
Thanks.

Don’t confuse normalization (i.e., orthogonal transformation plus scalling) of generators with the Dynkin’s index of irreducible representations.
The quadratic Casmir of Lie algebra is given by
[tex]C_{2}(r) = g^{ab} \ t^{(r)}_{a} \ t^{(r)}_{b} = d_{(r)} \ I_{r}[/tex] where [itex]d_{r}[/itex] is a representation-dependent number called the Dynkin’s index, and [itex]I_{r}[/itex] is the identity matrix in the irreducible representation, i.e., [itex]\mbox{Tr}(I_{r})[/itex] is the dimension of the representation space [itex]\mbox{dim}(r)[/itex]. Taking the trace, you get [tex]g^{ab} \ \mbox{Tr}(t^{(r)}_{a} \ t^{(r)}_{b}) = d_{(r)} \ \mbox{dim}(r) .[/tex] In the Adjoint representation, you can normalize the generators [itex]A_{a}[/itex] so that [tex]\mbox{Tr}(A_{a} \ A_{b}) = g_{ab}.[/tex] So, for any Lie algebra you have [tex]g^{ab} \ g_{ab} = d_{A} \ \mbox{dim}(A) , \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ d_{A} = 1.[/tex] This is because [itex]g^{ab}g_{ab} = \delta^{c}_{c} = \mbox{dim}(A)[/itex].

For [itex]SU(n)[/itex] and [itex]SO(n)[/itex] you can always make the following normalization convention [itex]\mbox{Tr}(T_{i} \ T_{j}) = \lambda \ \delta_{ij}[/itex], because [itex]\mbox{Tr}(T_{i} \ T_{j})[/itex] is a real symmetric matrix and can be diagonalized by taking an appropriate real linear combination of the generators, with diagonal coefficients set to a constant [itex]\lambda[/itex]. With this basis of the algebra, the structure constants are given by [tex]C^{k}_{mn} = - \frac{i}{\lambda} \ \mbox{Tr}(T_{k}[T_{m},T_{n}]) ,[/tex] which implies that [itex]C^{k}_{mn}[/itex] is totally antisymmetric in all three indices.
For example [itex]SU(2)[/itex], where [itex]g^{ab}= \frac{1}{2}\delta^{ab}[/itex], we choose, for the Fundamental representation, [tex]\mbox{Tr}(T_{a}^{(F)} \ T_{b}^{(F)}) = \mbox{Tr}( \frac{\sigma_{a}}{2} \ \frac{\sigma_{b}}{2} )= \frac{1}{2} \ \delta_{ab} ,[/tex] So, [tex]d_{(F)} \ \mbox{dim}(F) = \frac{1}{2} \ \delta^{ab} \ \frac{1}{2} \ \delta_{ab} = \frac{3}{4} .[/tex] From this we find the Dynkin’s index [itex]d_{(F)} = \frac{3}{8}[/itex], because [itex]\mbox{dim}(F) = 2[/itex].

1. What is the significance of invariant tensors of SU(3)?

Invariant tensors of SU(3) are important mathematical objects that are used to describe the properties and symmetries of a physical system. They are particularly useful in the study of quantum mechanics, where they help to analyze the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. How do invariant tensors of SU(3) relate to the concept of symmetry?

Invariant tensors of SU(3) are closely related to the concept of symmetry, as they represent the transformations that leave a physical system unchanged. In other words, they describe the symmetries of a system and how they are preserved under different operations.

3. Can you explain the mathematical properties of invariant tensors of SU(3)?

Invariant tensors of SU(3) have several important mathematical properties, including being Hermitian, traceless, and symmetric, which are crucial for their use in physics. They also follow certain transformation rules under the action of the SU(3) group.

4. How are invariant tensors of SU(3) used in particle physics?

Invariant tensors of SU(3) are commonly used in particle physics to classify particles and their interactions. They help to determine the quantum numbers of particles, such as spin and electric charge, and to understand the patterns and symmetries of their interactions.

5. What advancements have been made in the study of invariant tensors of SU(3) in recent years?

In recent years, there have been significant advancements in the study of invariant tensors of SU(3), particularly in the field of quantum chromodynamics (QCD). These advancements have led to a better understanding of the strong nuclear force and the behavior of particles at high energies, and have also played a crucial role in the development of the Standard Model of particle physics.