Subatomic Reversibility of Time?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the intersection of music and philosophy, specifically the philosophies of time. The concept of time being reversible at the subatomic level was mentioned and it was questioned whether this is a generally accepted aspect of quantum theory. The discussion also touched upon the idea of irreversibility in the macroscopic world and how it is connected to thermodynamics and dynamics. The emergence of this concept is still being explored in physics. Some suggested topics for further reading were Ludwig Boltzmann, the Boltzmann equation, and the emergence of irreversibility. The conversation also briefly mentioned the personal taste in music of the person posting, mentioning a dislike for Shostakovich.
shostakov
I'm posting as a music student (composer) who is interested in philosophy, particularly philosophies of time. Recently, I've my interests have tended towards the writings Fraser, Whitehead, Eddington, Russell and the like. I only mention this because responses to my question are only helpful if they assume a very weak mathematical background (like Russell's ABC of Relativity). . .

I heard in a lecture recently that at the subatomic level certain particles (I think it might have been electrons and positrons. . . not sure) can interact in such a way that the interaction can be viewed as having happened both in forward and in reverse time, i.e. the "effect" is, or at least appears to be, produced prior to the "cause."

I assume this is a generally accepted aspect of quantum theory? If accepted, what is the theory known as?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations that describe the microscopic dynamics of matter is exactly identical in both time directions.

But in the macroscopic world this is rarely the case. For instance, we are used to seeing a car starting to move, heating the road but we "know" it is impossible to observe road getting cold and car moving forward.

It is very difficult to arrive at this "arrow of time" using microscopic theories, because from a pure dynamical point of view, there's no difference between the two examples.

In physics, these two separate theories evolved independently (thermodynamics -- dynamics) and they were finally connected by L. Boltzmann.

But the emergence of irreversibility is still an open-ended question in some ways, I still see a few PRL papers every now and then on the subject.

You could check Ludwig Boltzmann and Boltzmann equation, emergence of irreversibility, etc...

Edit : I play the piano (mostly classical Western) but Shostakovich is someone I cannot "survive" more than 10 minutes, I hope you don't get offended

Last edited:

I can confirm that the idea of subatomic reversibility of time is a well-established concept in quantum theory. It is known as the CPT (charge-parity-time) symmetry, which states that the laws of physics are unchanged when particles are replaced with their antiparticles, space is inverted, and time is reversed. This means that a process that occurs in one direction of time can also occur in the opposite direction without violating any physical laws.

However, it is important to note that this concept applies only at the subatomic level and does not necessarily apply to larger scales. At the macroscopic level, the arrow of time is still an important concept and is evident in the irreversible nature of many physical processes. This is known as the arrow of time paradox, which is a topic of ongoing research and debate in physics and philosophy.

Regarding your interest in philosophy, the concept of subatomic reversibility of time raises interesting questions about the nature of time and causality. It challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect, and raises questions about the fundamental nature of reality. It is an area of study that continues to fascinate and challenge scientists and philosophers alike. I would recommend exploring the works of the philosophers and scientists you mentioned to further your understanding of this concept and its implications.

What is the concept of Subatomic Reversibility of Time?

The Subatomic Reversibility of Time is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests that at the subatomic level, time may not always flow in a single direction. This means that particles at this level may be able to move both forwards and backwards in time.

What evidence supports the idea of Subatomic Reversibility of Time?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to support the idea of Subatomic Reversibility of Time. However, some theoretical models, such as the Wheeler-Feynman Absorber Theory, suggest that particles can travel both forwards and backwards in time at the subatomic level. Additionally, some experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, have shown that particles at the subatomic level can behave in seemingly unpredictable ways.

How does the concept of Subatomic Reversibility of Time relate to the concept of time travel?

The concept of Subatomic Reversibility of Time is often associated with the idea of time travel. If particles can move backwards in time at the subatomic level, it may be possible for larger objects, such as humans, to also travel back in time. However, this remains purely theoretical and has not been proven possible.

What implications does the Subatomic Reversibility of Time have on our understanding of the universe?

If the concept of Subatomic Reversibility of Time is proven to be true, it would challenge our current understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It would also have implications for concepts such as causality, as the idea of particles moving backwards in time could potentially disrupt the cause-and-effect relationships we observe in our everyday lives.

What are the potential practical applications of understanding the Subatomic Reversibility of Time?

Currently, there are no known practical applications of understanding the Subatomic Reversibility of Time. However, if this concept is proven to be true, it could potentially lead to advancements in fields such as quantum computing and time travel technology. It could also provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern our universe.