1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subgroups and LaGrange's Theorem

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    Let H and K be finite subgroups of a group G whose orders are relatively prime. Show H and K have only the identity element in common.

By LaGrange's theorem I know that the orders of H and K must divide the order of G. I have attempted a proof by contradiction but have had no luck arriving at a contradiction. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are correct, and you do need Lagrange. But you're asked what the intersection of H and K is. Firstly, is HnK a group?

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3
    Well, I suppose it would be a group if it contained the identity, g and the inverse of g. This is what I was trying to use to find a contradiction but I'm not sure how this leads to the fact that H and K are relatively prime.

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should probably answer Matt's question without the 'if'. If the intersection of H and K is a group, then it's a subgroup of H and K. That tells you something about divisors of the order of H and K.

6. Mar 16, 2009 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are attempting to deduce something from the fact that they are relatively prime.

H and K have coprime orders. So, by Lagrange, if L is a subgroup of H and K, then what do you know?

7. Mar 16, 2009 #6
    Oh, okay. I see it now. Thanks very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook