Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subjecting a Magnetorheological Fluid to both poles of a magnet?

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm new here, but it seems there are some pretty intellectual people running around.
    I was researching magnetorheological fluids, simply because I came across them and thought they were really interesting. I learned that when they are subjected to a magnetic field, the iron particles in them line up and make a crystalline form, changing the fluid from liquid to solid.
    However, that is a magnetic field. What if both poles of a magnet (same current in alternate electromagnets) were pointed at the fluid? Would anything happen?

Any help would be very appreciated :smile:.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2
    If you had 2 bar magnets and then pointed them at the fluid, one with the north pole facing and the other with the south pole facing. It would kill the B field a lot.
    What does amperes law tell us about B fields. B is proportional to the current enclosed.
    If I have 2 current loops on top of each other with their currents in opposite directions, the current enclosed is zero so their is no B field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook