Subjecting a Magnetorheological Fluid to both poles of a magnet?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
ben25x
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm new here, but it seems there are some pretty intellectual people running around.
I was researching magnetorheological fluids, simply because I came across them and thought they were really interesting. I learned that when they are subjected to a magnetic field, the iron particles in them line up and make a crystalline form, changing the fluid from liquid to solid.
However, that is a magnetic field. What if both poles of a magnet (same current in alternate electromagnets) were pointed at the fluid? Would anything happen?

Any help would be very appreciated :smile:.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you had 2 bar magnets and then pointed them at the fluid, one with the north pole facing and the other with the south pole facing. It would kill the B field a lot.
What does amperes law tell us about B fields. B is proportional to the current enclosed.
If I have 2 current loops on top of each other with their currents in opposite directions, the current enclosed is zero so their is no B field.