Subjects needed in High School for Aerospace Engineering

In summary, to become an Aerospace Engineer, you will need to focus on subjects such as Math, Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Programming. However, the most important subject is Math, specifically calculus, integrals, and matrices. Additionally, having strong writing and communication skills is also crucial for success in this field.
Jackal97
Hi, I'm from Australia, in Year 9 of High School and planning on becoming an Aerospace Engineer. Next year is when everything starts to get serious and I've been thinking what I want to do with my life, and I eventually settled down on an Aerospace Engineer. So what subjects do i need to pick to become one?

Sorry if there is already a thread about this, if not then I appreciate all your opinions and answers! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Math. Physics. Math. Chemistry. Math. To top it off: math.

English

Remember how to do calculus, matrices, and all that. Math is an indispensable tool, but HowlerMonkey also underscores an equally important point: we need to be able to communicate effectively, succinctly, and with proper grammar and spelling.

In fact chemistry is not so much needed, unless you want to study only combustion. for now, you should focus only and only on math, specially calculus, integrals and if you have in your high school curriculum, matrices.

In order of importance:
Calculus, Physics, Linear Algebra, Computer Programming (C or FORTRAN)

Writing/communication skills are also important. I know plenty of engineers who write like they are mentally handicapped.

1. What are the most important subjects to take in high school for aerospace engineering?

The most important subjects to take in high school for aerospace engineering are math, physics, and chemistry. These subjects provide a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of engineering and help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Is it necessary to take advanced courses in high school for aerospace engineering?

While it is not necessary to take advanced courses in high school for aerospace engineering, it is highly recommended. Advanced courses in math, physics, and computer science can help students prepare for the rigorous coursework in college and give them a competitive edge in the field.

3. Are there any specific electives that would be beneficial for a career in aerospace engineering?

Electives such as computer-aided design (CAD), robotics, and aerospace engineering courses can be beneficial for a career in aerospace engineering. These courses can provide hands-on experience and a deeper understanding of the field.

4. Are there any subjects that are not necessary for high school students interested in aerospace engineering?

While all subjects can contribute to a well-rounded education, some subjects may not be as directly relevant to a career in aerospace engineering. For example, while English and history courses can improve communication and critical thinking skills, they may not be as crucial as math and science courses for this specific field.

5. How can high school students start preparing for a future in aerospace engineering?

High school students can start preparing for a future in aerospace engineering by taking challenging math and science courses, participating in STEM-related extracurricular activities, and seeking out internships or job shadowing opportunities in the field. They can also research and learn more about the different areas of aerospace engineering to determine their specific interests and goals.