Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Aerospace Engineer or Mechanical Engineer?

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I am trying to decide whether I should major in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering. I want to work for Boeing after college doing something with airplanes. I'm going to be a senior in high school next year. Should I go for aerospace or mechanical? I know since I want to work on planes, probably aerospace, but mechanical has more opportunities and is more stable; you can also work for boeing with a mechanical engineering degree. Which one should I do? Should I get a minor in one?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2
    I chose to do mechanical engineering but do want to go into aerospace, i will just do my masters in aerospace. I think for the main topics (well in the UK anywaya) the units are quite similar and it is just the name that changes and a very slight variation on units towards the end of your course.

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
    do boeing specify what degree you need for their engineers?

5. Aug 31, 2011 #4
    HAHA, a masters in aerospace engineering isn't the same as mechanical. Heck, the principles aren't even the same. Mechanical engineering focuses on the mechanical properties of materials and structures. Aerospace engineering focuses on the properties of fluid flow and heat transfer. I mean, unless you are doing something like aerospace design or aerospace structures.

Goopy, if you are still looking at this thread, there are things you need to sort out:
    1) Can you go into a program that offers a dual Aerospace/Mechanical degree. That's what I did and it is nice to have the ability to go into either field.

2) Do you want to work on structures and components or do you want to analyze aerodynamics, lift, efficiency, etc? If you want to do the more conventional "engineering" then you might want to think about mechanical. Yes, places like boeing hire mechanical engineers, that's how they get things built. But don't be fooled, they don't just hire any old Joe who has a degree. Companies like Boeing are world leaders, and hire accordingly. Hence, again, you might want to think about a dual major.

Aeronautical engineers analyze fluid flow and aerodynamics, mostly. Mechies design components. You will never find yourself in a position where you, alone, will design a wing or anything else for that matter. You will work on a crossfunctional team to do pretty much any major design.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook