What is the Submanifold of Rank 1 2x2 Matrices in R^4?

In summary, the exercise is to prove that the set of all 2x2 matrices of rank 1 is a submanifold of R^4. This can be done by showing that the determinant function is a submersion on the manifold of nonzero 2x2 matrices (M(2) - 0), which is an open subset of R^4. By showing that det^{-1}(0) \subset M(2) - 0 is a 3 dimensional submanifold, it can be concluded that the set of 2x2 matrices of rank 1 is a submanifold of R^4. The proof can be achieved by using the definition of submanifold and considering potential configurations that would
Geometrick

Homework Statement

Show that the set of all 2x2 matrices of rank 1 is a submanifold of R^4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint in the book was to show that the determinant function is a submersion on the manifold of nonzero 2x2 matrix M(2) - 0. This is easy to show. So I have that det^{-1}(0) \subset M(2) - 0 is a 3 dimensional sub manifold of M(2) - 0. But how do I show that it's a submanifold of R^4?

I know that M(2) - 0 is an open subset of R^4... I get the intuitive idea, but I don't see how to write a rigorous proof. How do I show that the set of 2x2 matrices of rank 1 is a submanifold of R^4 if I just showed that it is a submanifold of M(2) - 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think geometrically -- what configuration would be "bad", that is, cause your manifold not to be a submanifold of [tex]\mathbb{R}^4[/tex]?

That didn't help me too much, I just looked up the definition of submanifold (explicitly) and just used that. It works quite nicely.

What is a submanifold?

A submanifold is a subset of a higher-dimensional manifold that is itself a manifold. It can be thought of as a lower-dimensional surface embedded in a higher-dimensional space.

What are some examples of submanifolds?

Examples of submanifolds include lines, planes, and spheres in three-dimensional space, as well as curves and surfaces in higher-dimensional spaces.

How are submanifolds related to matrix groups?

Matrix groups are often used to describe and study submanifolds. A matrix group is a set of matrices that form a group under matrix multiplication, and this group can be used to define and transform submanifolds.

What is the significance of matrix groups in submanifold research?

Matrix groups are important in submanifold research because they allow for the efficient and systematic study of submanifolds. By applying matrix transformations to submanifolds, researchers can analyze their properties and relationships with other submanifolds.

What are some real-world applications of submanifolds and matrix groups?

Submanifolds and matrix groups have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze complex systems, such as fluid dynamics, and to create visual effects in movies and video games.