Subsequence of a cauchy sequence in R

In summary: Yes, now there is an N_2>N_1 such that |a_m-a_n|<\epsilon/8 for m,n>N_2, right? Any suggestions for picking k_{2}?
autre

Homework Statement

If [itex]\{a_{n}\}\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] is Cauchy, [itex]\forall\epsilon>0,\exists[/itex] a subsequence [itex]\{a_{k_{j}}\}[/itex] so that [itex]|a_{k_{j}}-a_{k_{j+1}}|<\frac{\epsilon}{2^{j+1}}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [itex]\{a_{k_{j}}\}[/itex] is Cauchy,[itex]\forall\epsilon>0[/itex],[itex]\exists N_{\epsilon}[/itex] such that for [itex]j,j+1\geq N_{\epsilon}[/itex],[itex]|a_{k_{j}}-a_{k+1}|<\epsilon[/itex].

I can't figure out how to incorporate [itex]\frac{\epsilon}{2^{j+1}}[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
autre said:

Homework Statement

If [itex]\{a_{n}\}\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] is Cauchy, [itex]\forall\epsilon>0,\exists[/itex] a subsequence [itex]\{a_{k_{j}}\}[/itex] so that [itex]|a_{k_{j}}-a_{k+1}|<\frac{\epsilon}{2^{j+1}}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [itex]\{a_{k_{j}}\}[/itex] is Cauchy,[itex]\forall\epsilon>0[/itex],[itex]\exists N_{\epsilon}[/itex] such that for [itex]j,j+1\geq N_{\epsilon}[/itex],[itex]|a_{k_{j}}-a_{k+1}|<\epsilon[/itex].

I can't figure out how to incorporate [itex]\frac{\epsilon}{2^{j+1}}[/itex].

I don't think [itex]|a_{k_{j}}-a_{k+1}|<\frac{\epsilon}{2^{j+1}}[/itex] makes much sense. [itex]k_{j}[/itex] is a sequence of integers. k itself doesn't have a value. I think you mean [itex]|a_{k_{j}}-a_{k_{j+1}}|<\frac{\epsilon}{2^{j+1}}[/itex]

Dick said:
I don't think [itex]|a_{k_{j}}-a_{k+1}|<\frac{\epsilon}{2^{j+1}}[/itex] makes much sense. [itex]k_{j}[/itex] is a sequence of integers. k itself doesn't have a value. I think you mean [itex]|a_{k_{j}}-a_{k_{j+1}}|<\frac{\epsilon}{2^{j+1}}[/itex]

Sorry, typo.

autre said:
Sorry, typo.

Start with j=1. Then there is an N such that for all m,n>=N, [itex]|a_m-a_n|<\epsilon/4[/itex]. Any idea how to chose a value for [itex]k_1[/itex]?

How about this --Since [itex]\{a_{n}\}[/itex] is Cauchy, [itex]\exists N_{1}>N s.t. \forall m,n>N_{1}, |a_{m}-a_{n}|<\frac{\epsilon}{4},k_{1}=m[/itex]. Continuing j+1 times, [itex]\exists N_{j+1}>N_{j} s.t. \forall m,n>N_{j+1},|a_{m}-a_{n}|<\frac{\epsilon}{2^{j+1}},k_{j}=m[/itex].

autre said:
How about this --

Since [itex]\{a_{n}\}[/itex] is Cauchy, [itex]\exists N_{1}>N s.t. \forall m,n>N_{1}, |a_{m}-a_{n}|<\frac{\epsilon}{4},k_{1}=m[/itex]. Continuing j+1 times, [itex]\exists N_{j+1}>N_{j} s.t. \forall m,n>N_{j+1},|a_{m}-a_{n}|<\frac{\epsilon}{2^{j+1}},k_{j}=m[/itex].

How can you put e.g. [itex]k_{1}=m[/itex]?? It was [itex]\forall m>N[/itex]. m doesn't have a definite value. Are you sure you understand that? It kind of looks like you saw a solution and copied it in a somewhat garbled form.

Dick said:
How can you put e.g. [itex]k_{1}=m[/itex]?? It was [itex]\forall m>N[/itex]. m doesn't have a definite value. Are you sure you understand that? It kind of looks like you saw a solution and copied it in a somewhat garbled form.

You've got me there, I'm still confused as to how to approach this. Any clues at to how I might arrive at [itex]k_{1}[/itex]?

autre said:
You've got me there, I'm still confused as to how to approach this. Any clues at to how I might arrive at [itex]k_{1}[/itex]?

Why not pick [itex]k_{1}=N_1[/itex]? Then all of the elements of the sequence with indices greater than [itex]N_1[/itex] are within [itex]\epsilon/4[/itex] of [itex]a_{N_1}[/itex]. Do you agree? Don't write a bunch of symbols down if you don't understand what they mean. Try and explain it in words. It would be great if you could actually understand this. Any idea how to pick [itex]k_{2}[/itex]?

Dick said:
Why not pick [itex]k_{1}=N_1[/itex]? Then all of the elements of the sequence with indices greater than [itex]N_1[/itex] are within [itex]\epsilon/4[/itex] of [itex]a_{N_1}[/itex]. Do you agree? Don't write a bunch of symbols down if you don't understand what they mean. Try and explain it in words. It would be great if you could actually understand this. Any idea how to pick [itex]k_{2}[/itex]?

Intuitively, I see {[itex]{a_{k_j}}[/itex]} converging to a point in R, so the higher [itex]N[/itex] the closer we get to that point. Then, we can can arbitrarily divide distance [itex]\epsilon[/itex] by 2,2^2,...2^j+1 as long as [itex]N_{2},...N_{j+1}[/itex] is sufficiently larger than the previous [itex]N_{i}[/itex], i = 1,...j+1.

Since {[itex]{a_{k_j}}[/itex]} is Cauchy, there exists ϵ>0 and N such that for all m,n>=N, |a_m−a_n|<ϵ/4. Since ϵ/4=ϵ/2^1+1, it is implicit that you are making j=1. Looking at the subsequence, that means you have |a_k1−a_k2|<ϵ/4. Now you are trying to move further along that what you did previously, so you would set a new [itex]N[/itex] that would make you move closer to the limit?

autre said:
Intuitively, I see {[itex]{a_{k_j}}[/itex]} converging to a point in R, so the higher [itex]N[/itex] the closer we get to that point. Then, we can can arbitrarily divide distance [itex]\epsilon[/itex] by 2,2^2,...2^j+1 as long as [itex]N_{2},...N_{j+1}[/itex] is sufficiently larger than the previous [itex]N_{i}[/itex], i = 1,...j+1.

Since {[itex]{a_{k_j}}[/itex]} is Cauchy, there exists ϵ>0 and N such that for all m,n>=N, |a_m−a_n|<ϵ/4. Since ϵ/4=ϵ/2^1+1, it is implicit that you are making j=1. Looking at the subsequence, that means you have |a_k1−a_k2|<ϵ/4. Now you are trying to move further along that what you did previously, so you would set a new [itex]N[/itex] that would make you move closer to the limit?

Yes, now there is an [itex]N_2>N_1[/itex] such that [itex]|a_m-a_n|<\epsilon/8[/itex] for [itex]m,n>N_2[/itex], right? Any suggestions for picking [itex]j_2[/itex]?

Dick said:
Yes, now there is an [itex]N_2>N_1[/itex] such that [itex]|a_m-a_n|<\epsilon/8[/itex] for [itex]m,n>N_2[/itex], right? Any suggestions for picking [itex]j_2[/itex]?

Do you mean [itex]k_2[/itex]? Wouldn't [itex]N_2[/itex] work?

autre said:
Do you mean [itex]k_2[/itex]? Wouldn't [itex]N_2[/itex] work?

Yes and yes, now can you define [itex]k_3[/itex]?

Dick said:
Yes and yes, now can you define [itex]k_3[/itex]?

I think I've got it:

Start with j=1. Then there is an N such that for all m,n>=N, |am−an|<ϵ/4. Since {[itex]a_{{k}_{j}}[/itex]} is Cauchy, there exists an [itex]N_2[/itex]=[itex]k_2[/itex] s.t. for all m,n>=[itex]N_2[/itex], |am−an|<ϵ/2^3. Continuing, there exists an [itex]N_j=k_j[/itex] s.t. for all m,n>=[itex]N_j[/itex], |am−an|<ϵ/2^(j+1). Does that look about right?

autre said:
I think I've got it:

Start with j=1. Then there is an N such that for all m,n>=N, |am−an|<ϵ/4. Since {[itex]a_{{k}_{j}}[/itex]} is Cauchy, there exists an [itex]N_2[/itex]=[itex]k_2[/itex] s.t. for all m,n>=[itex]N_2[/itex], |am−an|<ϵ/2^3. Continuing, there exists an [itex]N_j=k_j[/itex] s.t. for all m,n>=[itex]N_j[/itex], |am−an|<ϵ/2^(j+1). Does that look about right?

It's 'about' right. It's still a little hazy around the edges, but it's a big improvement. The idea behind the whole proof is to use that the sequence [itex]{a_n}[/itex] (not the subsequence [itex]{a_{k_j}}[/itex]) is Cauchy to pick the N's. Then use those N's to define the [itex]k_j[/itex] of the subsequence. Say so. Don't just write [itex]N_j=k_j[/itex] and assume that they'll know that you are intending to define [itex]k_j[/itex] that way. And you'll want to make sure that you pick [itex]N_1<N_2<N_3<...[/itex]. And you forgot to define [itex]k_1[/itex].

1. What is a Cauchy sequence in R?

A Cauchy sequence in R is a sequence of real numbers in which the terms become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. This means that for any positive real number, there exists a point in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are within that distance from each other.

2. What is a subsequence?

A subsequence is a sequence that is obtained by selecting some elements from a given sequence while preserving their order. In other words, a subsequence is a sequence that is a part of a larger sequence.

3. How is a subsequence of a Cauchy sequence defined in R?

A subsequence of a Cauchy sequence in R is a sequence that is also a Cauchy sequence and is obtained by selecting some terms from the original sequence while maintaining their relative order.

4. Can a subsequence of a Cauchy sequence in R be divergent?

Yes, a subsequence of a Cauchy sequence in R can be divergent. This is because a subsequence only needs to maintain the relative order of terms, not their values. Therefore, it is possible for a subsequence to have terms that are not close enough to each other to be considered a Cauchy sequence.

5. What is the significance of subsequence of a Cauchy sequence in R?

The concept of a subsequence of a Cauchy sequence is important because it allows us to identify and analyze smaller sequences within a larger sequence that may have interesting properties or behavior. This can be useful in proving the convergence or divergence of a sequence, or in determining the limit of a sequence.