Substitute a gas motor with electric motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of replacing a gas motor in a 12kw Generac home backup generator with an electric motor, which would be powered by the grid and potentially save on power consumption. However, it is pointed out that this would not work as the generator would only output the same amount of power as the motor, and the efficiency would be lower than using mains electricity directly. The conversation is locked due to suspicions of it being about a perpetual motion machine.
Charles Doyle
I'm sure that this has been posted before but...
I want to substitute a gas motor in my 12kw Generac home backup generator with an electric motor 48-volt 4hp@4000 rpm series.. I would run this electric motor from the grid and power my home from this newly design generator.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would you want to do that? Did you lose a bet?

Likes phinds and russ_watters
Correct me but the power consumption for a 48v motor that can propel a 12kw generator consume less power, I would thing 375 kwh/mo in turn costing me about 75.00 per/mo.
This would be a big savings

So, I'm going to guess this is an attempt at a perpetual motion machine, but leave the thread up until confirmed. Trouble is, if you connect a 3kW motor to a 12kW generator, it'll just output about 3kW, and at a lower efficiency (say, 3.5kW input) than if you just used the mains electricity directly.

But yes, we do get this question disappointingly often.

[Edit: suspicion confirmed. Sorry, but the question is answered and we don't discuss perpetual motion here, even for debunking. Thread locked.]

Last edited:

1. Can any gas motor be easily replaced with an electric motor?

Unfortunately, it is not a simple swap as there are several differences between gas and electric motors. While some conversions may be possible, it often requires significant modifications and expertise.

2. What are the benefits of replacing a gas motor with an electric motor?

The main benefit is reducing reliance on fossil fuels and reducing emissions. Electric motors are also more efficient, quieter, and require less maintenance compared to gas motors.

3. How does the power output of an electric motor compare to a gas motor?

Generally, electric motors have lower peak power compared to gas motors. However, they have a more consistent and immediate torque, resulting in a smoother and more responsive driving experience.

4. Are there any limitations to using an electric motor instead of a gas motor?

One limitation is the range of the vehicle, as electric motors rely on batteries that need to be recharged. The availability of charging stations may also be a limitation, especially for long-distance travel.

5. What types of vehicles can benefit from replacing a gas motor with an electric motor?

Technological advancements have made it possible to convert a wide range of vehicles, including cars, buses, trucks, boats, and even airplanes, to electric motors. However, the feasibility and cost-effectiveness may vary depending on the specific vehicle and its usage.