Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Substituting differentials in physics integrals.

1. Mar 16, 2014 #1
    Today I tried to show that rotational kinetic energy was equivalent to standard translational kinetic energy.

So I started with kinetic energy, T = ∫dT. Then, because T=1/2mv^2, I substituted dT=1/2v^2dm and then because m=ρV, I substituted dm=ρdV. Then, after substituting v=ωr, I got the equation for rotational kinetic energy, 1/2Iω^2.

The problem I have is with the substituting differentials. Shouldn't dT=1/2v^2dm+vdvdm because both v and m are varying? Also, shouldn't dm=ρdV+Vdρ? I remember seeing this substitution made when calculating the mass of some shape from its density but I can't seem to justify it from the knowledge I have.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

1. dT = (1/2)v^2.dm + mv.dv
    2. what is dv/dm ?

4. Mar 16, 2014 #3
    You're confused. You're not doing an integration by parts. You're just doing a change of variable of integration. The product rule makes no sense here.

5. Mar 16, 2014 #4
    Yeah, I was being stupid. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook