Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Substitution changes limits of integration?

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    I'm working through rewriting the gamma function as an infinite product, but my question is just about a specific substitution that was made in my textbook. They took the equation:

[tex]\Gamma_ n(z)=\int_0^n t^{z-1} (1-\frac{t}{n}) ^ndt[/tex] for Re(z)>0 and n greater than or equal to 1.

and made the substitution s=t/n. The given result is:

[tex]\Gamma _n(z)=n^z\int_0^1 s^{z-1}(1-s)^nds[/tex]

My question is, why did the upper limit of integration change from n to 1?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2
    Put t = n into your equation s = t/n and you get 1.

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3
    I don't see how that would change the limit of integration. In order to make the substitution, I did the following:

[tex]t^{z-1} = n^{z-1} (\frac{t}{t})^{z-1} = n^{z-1} s^{z-1}[/tex]

[tex](1-\frac{t}{n})^n = (1-s)^n[/tex]

[tex]ds=\frac{1}{n}dt \rightarrow dt=nds[/tex]

All that gives me [itex]\Gamma _n(z)=n^z\int_0^n s^{z-1}(1-s)^nds[/itex]

I just can't figure out why I would need to change the limit of integration from n to 1.

5. Jan 12, 2012 #4
    I don't mean to sound flippant with this, but have you not used the substitution rule before in integrals?

For example, if I wanted to integrate [itex] f(x) = 2x(x^2 + 1)^10 [/itex] from 1 to 2, then I would use the substitution [itex] u(x) = x^2 + 1 [/itex], right? To find the new limits of integration, I would plug evaluate u(1) and u(2), and these would be my new limits of integration.

So s(t) = t/n is your substitution, right? You were integrating from 0 to n, so s(0) = 0 and s(n) = 1. So these are your new limits of integration.

If you aren't familiar with this, I suggest reading up a proof of the substitution rule to see why this is true.

6. Jan 12, 2012 #5
    Thanks JG89. It's just been a while. That makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook