Substitution changes limits of integration?

In summary: I was just trying to simplify things a bit. In summary, the substitution s=t/n changed the limit of integration from n to 1. This made the given result more accurate.
TUMath
I'm working through rewriting the gamma function as an infinite product, but my question is just about a specific substitution that was made in my textbook. They took the equation:

[tex]\Gamma_ n(z)=\int_0^n t^{z-1} (1-\frac{t}{n}) ^ndt[/tex] for Re(z)>0 and n greater than or equal to 1.

and made the substitution s=t/n. The given result is:

[tex]\Gamma _n(z)=n^z\int_0^1 s^{z-1}(1-s)^nds[/tex]

My question is, why did the upper limit of integration change from n to 1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Put t = n into your equation s = t/n and you get 1.

I don't see how that would change the limit of integration. In order to make the substitution, I did the following:

[tex]t^{z-1} = n^{z-1} (\frac{t}{t})^{z-1} = n^{z-1} s^{z-1}[/tex]

[tex](1-\frac{t}{n})^n = (1-s)^n[/tex]

[tex]ds=\frac{1}{n}dt \rightarrow dt=nds[/tex]

All that gives me [itex]\Gamma _n(z)=n^z\int_0^n s^{z-1}(1-s)^nds[/itex]

I just can't figure out why I would need to change the limit of integration from n to 1.

I don't mean to sound flippant with this, but have you not used the substitution rule before in integrals?

For example, if I wanted to integrate [itex] f(x) = 2x(x^2 + 1)^10 [/itex] from 1 to 2, then I would use the substitution [itex] u(x) = x^2 + 1 [/itex], right? To find the new limits of integration, I would plug evaluate u(1) and u(2), and these would be my new limits of integration.

So s(t) = t/n is your substitution, right? You were integrating from 0 to n, so s(0) = 0 and s(n) = 1. So these are your new limits of integration.

If you aren't familiar with this, I suggest reading up a proof of the substitution rule to see why this is true.

Thanks JG89. It's just been a while. That makes sense.

1. How does substitution change the limits of integration?

Substitution changes the limits of integration by transforming the integral from its original variable to a new variable. This new variable has its own range of values, which becomes the new limits of integration.

2. Why do we use substitution to change the limits of integration?

Substitution is used to change the limits of integration because it simplifies the integral and makes it easier to evaluate. It also helps to transform the integral into a form that is more suitable for integration.

3. What are the steps involved in using substitution to change the limits of integration?

The steps involved in using substitution to change the limits of integration are: 1. Determine the appropriate substitution for the integral. 2. Substitute the new variable into the integral. 3. Determine the new limits of integration by using the substitution. 4. Evaluate the integral with the new limits.

4. Can substitution change the limits of integration for any type of integral?

Yes, substitution can be used to change the limits of integration for any type of integral, including definite and indefinite integrals. However, it is most commonly used for definite integrals.

5. What are some common substitutions used to change the limits of integration?

Some common substitutions used to change the limits of integration are trigonometric substitutions, u-substitution, and power rule substitutions. The choice of substitution depends on the form of the integral and the desired simplification.