1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Substitution of variables to remove singularities.

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given an integral for which I need to substitute variables to remove a singularity so that the integral can be computed in Matlab using the Composite Trapezoidal Method, and then compared to the integral computed in Maple to 16 digit precision. I am stuck on the variable substitution. The integral is:

[itex] \int_0^1 \frac{e^{-x}}{x^{3/4}}\,dx [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted the following substitution:
    [itex] du= \frac {dx}{x^{3/4}} [/itex] so that [itex] u=4x^{1/4} [/itex] which resulted in the integral:
    [itex] \int_0^4 e^{ -{\frac{u^4}{256}}}\,du [/itex]

Which doesn't seem to work at all. I suspect the error is in the substitution of variables. Any help/input would be fantastic.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i) what happened to the minus sign in the exponential? ii) x isn't u^4/64. Check that '64'. And iii) when you go to the u integration, you'd better change the x limits to u limits.

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    Hey, the missing minus and 64 were typos. I changed x to equal u^4/256 and included the minus sign, and then changed the limits of integration from 0 to 1 to 0 to 4, but still no luck.

5. Feb 10, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then it should be ok. How do you mean, 'no luck'?

6. Feb 10, 2013 #5
    The assignment said that removing the singularity would make it doable in Maple but all Maple is returning for me is a series of WhittakerM functions, which I am not familiar with. Perhaps the assignment made it seem to simple and more legwork is required.

7. Feb 10, 2013 #6
    Dick, the remaining issue was in my coding in Maple. Thank you very much for your help, it was great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook