Is Sugar's Metabolism Linked to Depression Risk in Men?

In summary, a study found that fructose metabolization may have an impact on mental health, but the authors did not mention the potential byproducts produced. A scientist in a news article also questioned the link between sugar and mental health, citing the breakdown of sugar in the gut and its low glycemic index. However, fructose still needs to be processed in the liver. The speaker has personally noticed benefits from reducing sugar intake, but struggles with its addictive nature.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
According to this study:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-05649-7

What I find interesting is that the authors did not list the byproducts produced when fructose is metabolized as a possible vehicle for what they found.

In fact, in one news article a scientist commenting on the study almost denied the possibility.
Here is the article:
https://www.theguardian.com/society...ncrease-depression-risk-in-men-study-suggests
Here is the quote:
From a scientific standpoint it is difficult to see how sugar in food would differ from other sources of carbohydrate on mental health, as both are broken down to simple sugars in the gut before absorption and the glycemic index of sugar is less than refined starchy foods such as white bread and rice.
To be precise, sugar is broken down into glucose and fructose in the gut. And fructose has a fairly low glycemic index. But that's because it needs to be processed in the liver.
http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/2/226.long

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Biology news on Phys.org
I've long tried to reduce my sugar intake. Not only for the sake of my teeth, but I also notice I feel better after a week of low sugar in my diet. It's difficult because sugar is addictive, in everything, and I have a sweet tooth.

What is "Sugar's Depressing for Men"?

"Sugar's Depressing for Men" is a phrase that describes the potential negative effects of consuming excessive amounts of sugar on men's mental health.

How does sugar consumption affect men's mental health?

Studies have shown that consuming large amounts of sugar can lead to increased feelings of depression and anxiety in men. This is due to the impact of sugar on neurotransmitters and hormones in the brain.

What are the symptoms of sugar-induced depression in men?

Symptoms of sugar-induced depression in men may include mood swings, irritability, fatigue, and difficulty concentrating. These symptoms may vary from person to person.

Is there a recommended amount of sugar intake for men?

The American Heart Association recommends limiting added sugar intake to no more than 9 teaspoons (36 grams) per day for men. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine an appropriate amount based on individual health and lifestyle factors.

Are there any natural alternatives to sugar that can help improve men's mental health?

Yes, there are natural alternatives to sugar such as honey, maple syrup, and fruit that can be used as healthier alternatives. These options provide natural sources of glucose and can help stabilize blood sugar levels, which can have a positive impact on mental health.