• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Suggestions for papers to read in Classical Mechanics

Main Question or Discussion Point

Greeting, I wanted some suggestion regarding classic and essential papers to read in Classical Mechanics. The first semester is over, and I want to expand upon what I have learnt. If there is some paper or topic in particular that you found interesting personally early on, it would be helpful. I am sort of confused about where to start. Suggestions in statistical mechanics are also appreciated. Thank you.

Answers and Replies

Thank you. :smile:

The first semester is over, and I want to expand upon what I have learnt.
What textbook did you use for classical mechanics? How much of the text was covered in your course? Suggestions for follow on study would depend upon what you have learned to date.

What textbook did you use for classical mechanics? How much of the text was covered in your course? Suggestions for follow on study would depend upon what you have learned to date.
We used Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd ed., covering material up to Classical Chaos. Our teacher also encouraged us to give VI Arnold's Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics a try to get familiar with the concept of manifolds. I have been going through that for a while now. Thank you.

Reactions: BvU
jtbell
Mentor
The first semester is over
We used Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd ed.
First semester of graduate school? When I first saw your first post, I wondered whether you meant first semester of undergraduate intro physics (e.g. Halliday/Resnick) or first semester of an intermediate undergraduate course (e.g. Marion or Symon).

Oh yeah, I should have made it more clear.

Another challenging area would be bicycle motion. It’s amazing that such a common mode of transportation reveals so much complex physics that is still not well understood.

Prof David E Jones aka Daedalus was a prolific inventor of devices to challenge the mind of physicists. He created novel bike designs to explore bike stability and mysterious pseudo perpetual motion machines to challenge other physicists.

http://www.phys.lsu.edu/faculty/gonzalez/Teaching/Phys7221/vol59no9p51_56.pdf

others since Prof Jones have continued to search for new understanding on how bikes work:

https://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/bicycle-physics.html

https://www.nature.com/news/the-bicycle-problem-that-nearly-broke-mathematics-1.20281

Another challenging area would be bicycle motion. It’s amazing that such a common mode of transportation reveals so much complex physics that is still not well understood.

Prof David E Jones aka Daedalus was a prolific inventor of devices to challenge the mind of physicists. He created novel bike designs to explore bike stability and mysterious pseudo perpetual motion machines to challenge other physicists.
Wow, that's interesting. I rarely gave much thought to that. I will definitely look into it, thank you.

Also, I recently joined the Karate club in our institute. So, I will be reading up on physics involved in martial arts as well in the near future. Anyway, thanks again.

Yes, martial art physics is quite cool too. Biomechanical optimization can be very difficult to model well.

There are some channels on YouTube about martial arts and science although i remember they are Heavy on entertainment and light on the science.