Suggestions for papers to read in Classical Mechanics

In summary, Classical Mechanics is a broad and fundamental area of physics that studies the motion and interactions of physical objects. For those interested in delving deeper into this subject, some recommended papers to read include "The Principles of Mechanics" by Isaac Newton, "The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Formalism" by Richard Feynman, and "On the Dynamical Theory of Gases" by James Clerk Maxwell. These papers cover various aspects of Classical Mechanics, from its foundational principles to its applications in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. Additionally, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman provides a comprehensive overview of Classical Mechanics and is a highly recommended resource for gaining a thorough understanding of the subject.
RisingChariot
Greeting, I wanted some suggestion regarding classic and essential papers to read in Classical Mechanics. The first semester is over, and I want to expand upon what I have learnt. If there is some paper or topic in particular that you found interesting personally early on, it would be helpful. I am sort of confused about where to start. Suggestions in statistical mechanics are also appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you. :smile:

RisingChariot said:
The first semester is over, and I want to expand upon what I have learnt.
What textbook did you use for classical mechanics? How much of the text was covered in your course? Suggestions for follow on study would depend upon what you have learned to date.

gmax137 said:
What textbook did you use for classical mechanics? How much of the text was covered in your course? Suggestions for follow on study would depend upon what you have learned to date.

We used Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd ed., covering material up to Classical Chaos. Our teacher also encouraged us to give VI Arnold's Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics a try to get familiar with the concept of manifolds. I have been going through that for a while now. Thank you.

Likes BvU
RisingChariot said:
The first semester is over
RisingChariot said:
We used Goldstein's Classical Mechanics 3rd ed.
First semester of graduate school? When I first saw your first post, I wondered whether you meant first semester of undergraduate intro physics (e.g. Halliday/Resnick) or first semester of an intermediate undergraduate course (e.g. Marion or Symon).

Likes gmax137
Oh yeah, I should have made it more clear.

Another challenging area would be bicycle motion. It’s amazing that such a common mode of transportation reveals so much complex physics that is still not well understood.

Prof David E Jones aka Daedalus was a prolific inventor of devices to challenge the mind of physicists. He created novel bike designs to explore bike stability and mysterious pseudo perpetual motion machines to challenge other physicists.

http://www.phys.lsu.edu/faculty/gonzalez/Teaching/Phys7221/vol59no9p51_56.pdf

others since Prof Jones have continued to search for new understanding on how bikes work:

https://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/bicycle-physics.html

https://www.nature.com/news/the-bicycle-problem-that-nearly-broke-mathematics-1.20281

• Informative
Likes JD_PM and RisingChariot
jedishrfu said:
Another challenging area would be bicycle motion. It’s amazing that such a common mode of transportation reveals so much complex physics that is still not well understood.

Prof David E Jones aka Daedalus was a prolific inventor of devices to challenge the mind of physicists. He created novel bike designs to explore bike stability and mysterious pseudo perpetual motion machines to challenge other physicists.

Wow, that's interesting. I rarely gave much thought to that. I will definitely look into it, thank you.

Also, I recently joined the Karate club in our institute. So, I will be reading up on physics involved in martial arts as well in the near future. Anyway, thanks again.

Likes jedishrfu
Yes, martial art physics is quite cool too. Biomechanical optimization can be very difficult to model well.

There are some channels on YouTube about martial arts and science although i remember they are Heavy on entertainment and light on the science.

Likes RisingChariot

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation as described by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. Why is it important to read papers in Classical Mechanics?

Reading papers in Classical Mechanics allows scientists to stay updated on the latest research and developments in the field. It also helps to deepen their understanding of fundamental concepts and theories.

3. How can I find relevant papers to read in Classical Mechanics?

There are several ways to find papers to read in Classical Mechanics. One way is to search through online databases such as arXiv or Google Scholar. Another way is to attend conferences and workshops in the field, where researchers often present their latest work.

4. What are some recommended papers to read in Classical Mechanics?

Some recommended papers to read in Classical Mechanics include "The Principles of Mechanics" by Sir Isaac Newton, "The Variational Principles of Mechanics" by Cornelius Lanczos, and "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, among others. It is also beneficial to read recent papers published in reputable journals in the field.

5. Are there any open access papers available to read in Classical Mechanics?

Yes, there are many open access papers available to read in Classical Mechanics. These can be found on websites such as arXiv, as well as through open access journals such as the Journal of Classical Mechanics and Physics. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have their own online repositories of open access papers.