Electrodynamics and Classical Mechanics?

In summary, the individual is preparing for an exam that requires them to solve problems in electrodynamics, electrostatics, classical mechanics, and geometrical optics. They do not have electrodynamics in their school curriculum and have to study it on their own. They have purchased a textbook but are unsure if they can simultaneously study electrodynamics and classical mechanics. The question of whether it is possible to do so cannot be answered by strangers on an internet forum and will depend on the individual's definition of doing well, time, and aptitude for the subjects. The individual is willing to work hard to become a better physicist. However, it is suggested that they may be using a higher level textbook than necessary for their exam.
Ujjwal Basumatary
I am preparing for an exam which requires me to solve problems in electrodynamics and electrostatics problems along with classical mechanics and geometrical optics problems. The concern is that I do not have electrodynamics in my course in school so I have to study it completely on my own. I bought 'Introduction to Electrodynamics' by D.J. Griffiths but before I begin studying sincerely for the exam, I want to ask if it is possible to simultaneously study electrodynamics with classical mechanics. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it is possible. The real question is if you can handle it and do well in both. This depends on what you define as doing well, how deep you need to go, how much time you have, and your aptitude for the subjects. It really is not something that can be answered by strangers on an internet forum.

Orodruin said:
Of course it is possible. The real question is if you can handle it and do well in both. This depends on what you define as doing well, how deep you need to go, how much time you have, and your aptitude for the subjects. It really is not something that can be answered by strangers on an internet forum.
I have scored well in the practice tests for the mechanics exams and am doing fine at the moment. I started learning about div, gradient and curl when this question popped in my mind. I am willing to work hard to become a better physicist :)

If six weeks ago you were just starting to learn vector calc and introductory E&M, I think it's extremely likely that you are going too fast to learn the material in any depth.

I read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It's about Russia.

Vanadium 50 said:
If six weeks ago you were just starting to learn vector calc and introductory E&M, I think it's extremely likely that you are going too fast to learn the material in any depth.

I read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It's about Russia.
Unfortunately, that is the problem. The exam I'm taking, which is due this November is intended for high school juniors, but I don't have any EM in my course this year. I'm having to learn it completely by myself.

Is this for the Physics Olympiad? (I suspect it is, based on your previous posts.) If so, does it really require Griffiths-level E&M (upper-level undergraduate), as opposed to Halliday/Resnick- or Young/Freedman-level (first-year undergraduate)?

Last edited:
jtbell said:
Is this for the Physics Olympiad? (I suspect it is, based on your previous posts.) If so, does it really require Griffiths-level E&M (upper-level undergraduate), as opposed to Halliday/Resnick- or Young/Freedman-level (first-year undergraduate)?
It requires Halliday/Resnick level electrodynamics.

Then Griffiths is above the level you want. In the US at least, students who use Griffiths have already taken a course on the level of Halliday/Resnick.

Ujjwal Basumatary said:
I am preparing for an exam which requires me to solve problems in electrodynamics and electrostatics problems along with classical mechanics and geometrical optics problems. The concern is that I do not have electrodynamics in my course in school so I have to study it completely on my own. I bought 'Introduction to Electrodynamics' by D.J. Griffiths but before I begin studying sincerely for the exam, I want to ask if it is possible to simultaneously study electrodynamics with classical mechanics. Thank you.

Ujjwal Basumatary said:
It requires Halliday/Resnick level electrodynamics.

Ujjwal Basumatary said:
I have scored well in the practice tests for the mechanics exams and am doing fine at the moment. I started learning about div, gradient and curl when this question popped in my mind. I am willing to work hard to become a better physicist :)

Based on that last quote, I think you are using a bazooka to kill a mosquito.

Zz.

1. What is the difference between electrodynamics and classical mechanics?

Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields, their interactions with matter, and how they produce electromagnetic waves. On the other hand, classical mechanics is a branch of physics that explains the motion of objects using Newton's laws of motion and the concept of forces. In simpler terms, electrodynamics focuses on the behavior of charged particles and their interactions, while classical mechanics focuses on the motion of objects.

2. What are the main principles of classical mechanics?

The main principles of classical mechanics are Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How does classical mechanics explain the motion of objects?

Classical mechanics explains the motion of objects using the concepts of position, velocity, acceleration, and forces. It states that an object will continue to move with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The acceleration of an object is determined by the net force acting on it, and the direction of the acceleration is in the same direction as the net force. The motion of objects can also be described using mathematical equations such as Newton's second law and the equations of motion.

4. What is the role of electromagnetism in classical mechanics?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in classical mechanics as it is responsible for the forces that act on objects. According to Maxwell's equations, changing electric fields can create magnetic fields, and vice versa. This phenomenon is the basis for many everyday applications such as motors, generators, and other electrical devices. In classical mechanics, the forces of electromagnetism are essential for understanding the motion of charged particles and objects in electric and magnetic fields.

5. How does classical mechanics relate to other branches of physics?

Classical mechanics is the foundation for many other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. Many concepts and principles from classical mechanics are used to understand and explain the behavior of systems in these branches. For example, the laws of thermodynamics are based on the principles of energy conservation and the second law of thermodynamics is related to the concept of entropy in classical mechanics. Similarly, the principles of classical mechanics are used to derive the equations of motion in quantum mechanics.