1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestions on Undergraduate Physics Textbooks

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    In a few months I'll be entering college towards a physics degree, and I'm in need of some suggestions for introductory physics textbooks. I'm looking for a book that encompasses all of the basics of physics, but nothing too watered-down. Calculus-based would be nice. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at this one:

University Physics with Modern Physics 12th Edition - Hugh D. Young, Roger A. Freedman
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2

4. May 16, 2008 #3
    I've been using University Physics for self-study, and I'm very satisfied with it. A lot of interesting problems and examples, good organization and exposition of materials, isn't afraid to use some advanced math (it introduces the gradient in Chapter 7, for example, and does some stuff on differential equations in the section on fluid resistance. I haven't seen such material in the Halliday Resnick book), but a beginner to physics can fully understand it. But of course, in the end it's up to your personal preference, as there are many good books out there. Go to an university library and see which fits your style the best.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?