Sum of Ideals with Empty Intersection

In summary, the individual is trying to find units for B and C (distinct from the unit of R since while B and C are ring,s they are not necessarily subrings). Is this a faulty approach? I can't think of any other approach...First of all, what do you mean with ring?? Is a ring with you always unital? Commutative? r is a ring with unital but not necessarily commutative elements, and an ideal to be a two-sided ideal unless otherwise stated.OK, so we wish to find units in B and C. Well, we can certainly write1=b+c for unique b and c. I claim that the b and c are units of B
wnorman27

Homework Statement

If a ring R contains two ideals B and C with B+C=R and B[itex]\cap[/itex]C=0, prove that B and C are rings and R[itex]\cong[/itex]B x C.

Homework Equations

B+C={all b+c|b[itex]\in[/itex]B and c[itex]\in[/itex]C}

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've discovered that if the unit of R is in one of the ideals then that ideal is all of R, while the other is just {0}. Unfortunately this doesn't help much because I can't guarantee the unit of R is in either ideal. In fact I'm having trouble showing that anything is in B or C. I've been trying to find units for B and C (distinct from the unit of R since while B and C are ring,s they are not necessarily subrings). Is this a faulty approach? I can't think of any other approach...

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, what do you mean with ring?? Is a ring with you always unital? Commutative?
What is an ideal? Is it always a two-sided ideal?

My text defines a ring to be unital but not necessarily commutative, and an ideal to be a two-sided ideal unless otherwise stated.

OK, so we wish to find units in B and C. Well, we can certainly write

[tex]1=b+c[/tex]

for unique b and c. I claim that the b and c are units of B and C respectively. Can you show this?

Well for b'[itex]\in[/itex]B and c'[itex]\in[/itex]C,

b'1=b'(b+c)=b'b+b'c=b'b (since b'c is an element of B[itex]\cap[/itex]C, and is thus 0)

so b'=b'b, and similar arguments show
b'=bb'
c'=c'c
c'=cc'

so that b is the unit in B and c is the unit in C.

Given that we can write r=b+c for unique b and c, this and the rest of the problem is clear, and fairly straightforward ([itex]\phi[/itex](r)=(b,c) where b and c are the unique elements of B and C respectively s.t. r=b+c, and then injectivity and surjectivity are both pretty quick).

I hadn't thought originally that r=b+c gave unique b and c. However, I can show this:

Suppose r=b+c=b'+c'. Then (b-b')=(c'-c)[itex]\in[/itex](B[itex]\cap[/itex]C), so that (b-b')=(c'-c)=0 and b=b' and c=c'.

Is there something that I should have picked up on that would have allowed me to see this immediately? Should I generally check uniqueness whenever I hear "___ can be expressed as ___"? Thanks!

What is the "Sum of Ideals with Empty Intersection"?

The "Sum of Ideals with Empty Intersection" is a mathematical concept used in abstract algebra. It refers to the sum of two or more ideals in a ring, where the intersection of the ideals is empty. In other words, the elements in the sum of the ideals do not have any common factors.

How is the "Sum of Ideals with Empty Intersection" calculated?

The sum of ideals with empty intersection is calculated by taking the union of the ideals and then simplifying the resulting set by removing any redundant elements. This process is similar to adding two sets of numbers, where common elements are only counted once.

What is the significance of the "Sum of Ideals with Empty Intersection"?

The "Sum of Ideals with Empty Intersection" is important in abstract algebra because it allows us to understand the structure of a ring in terms of its ideals. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and commutative algebra.

Can the "Sum of Ideals with Empty Intersection" be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the sum of ideals with empty intersection to be empty. This occurs when the two ideals being added have no common elements. In this case, the resulting sum is just the empty set, containing no elements.

What are some real-world examples of the "Sum of Ideals with Empty Intersection"?

One example of the "Sum of Ideals with Empty Intersection" can be seen in the construction of electrical circuits. In this case, the ideals represent different components of the circuit, such as resistors and capacitors. When these components are connected in parallel, their sum is the total impedance of the circuit, and the empty intersection represents the absence of any shared components.