1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sum of infinite Fourier series

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that

[tex]\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{1}{(2r+1)^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{8}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The equation of the function is

[tex]F(t)&=&\dfrac{\pi}{4}-\dfrac{2}{\pi}\left(\cos t+\dfrac{\cos3t}{3^{2}}+\dfrac{\cos5t}{5^{2}}+\cdots\right)-\left(\sin t-\dfrac{\sin2t}{2}+\dfrac{\sin3t}{3}-\cdots\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    We are given the condition that t=0, so the cos terms are all 1 giving

[tex]\left(\cos t+\dfrac{\cos3t}{3^{2}}+\dfrac{\cos5t}{5^{2}}+\cdots\right)=\dfrac{1}{1^{2}}+\dfrac{1}{3^{2}}+\dfrac{1}{5^{2}}+\dfrac{1}{7^{2}}\cdots=\frac{\pi^2}{8}[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2
    Did you write the question incorrectly? The expression that you're summing doesn't have the indexing variable in it anywhere, so it diverges toward infinity:
    [tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty\frac{1}{(2r+1)^2}=\frac{1}{(2r+1)^2}\sum_{i=0}^\infty1=\frac{1}{(2r+1)^2}\infty = \infty[/tex]

4. Jul 20, 2010 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I think it's just a typo.

5. Jul 20, 2010 #4
    Hi

The i should have been r.

I know from elsewhere that the sum is [tex]\frac{\pi^{2}}{8}[/tex], but I haven't really shown that, any hints?

Thanks

James

6. Jul 20, 2010 #5

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

You have to know the original function which the series you have written down represents. Evaluate this function at t=0 and do a little algebra.

Mat

7. Jul 20, 2010 #6
    The original function is piecewise

[tex]f(t)=\begin{cases}
    -t & \left(-\pi<t\leq0\right)\\
    0 & \left(0<t\leq\pi\right)\end{cases}[/tex]

With a period of [tex]2\pi[/tex]

James

8. Jul 20, 2010 #7

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

You have the value of it's Fourier series at t=0, now calculate what f(0) is and equate the two values.

9. Jul 20, 2010 #8
    Hi

Of course, duh.

Thanks for your help

James

10. Jul 22, 2010 #9
    Hi

I am next asked to choose an appropriate value for t and find the value of convergence of the following,

[tex]
    \sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1}=\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{7}
    [/tex]

I know this converges to [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex], but I am not sure where to start, the function is still the same as at the beginning of the thread

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks, James

11. Jul 22, 2010 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Integrate both the original function and its Fourier Series term by term. Then try to substitute some value of x in to get that result.

12. Jul 23, 2010 #11

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Don't integrate but differentiate.

13. Jul 23, 2010 #12

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Whoops, my mistake.

14. Jul 25, 2010 #13
    I differentiate the approximation and set [tex]t=-\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] giving

[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}=\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{1}{2r+1}\sin((2r+1)t)[/tex] as sin alternates sign we get

[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}=\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1}[/tex]

To which I find

[tex]\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1}=\frac{\pi^2}{4}[/tex] and not [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

15. Jul 25, 2010 #14
    [tex]
    \sum_{r = 0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(2 r + 1)^{2}}} = \sum_{r = 0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{r^{2}}} - \sum_{r = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(2 r)^{2}}} = \left(1 - \frac{1}{4}\right) \, \sum_{r = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{r^{2}}}
    [/tex]

The sum:

[tex]
    \zeta(2) \equiv \sum_{r = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{r^{2}}}
    [/tex]

can be found by expanding the function [itex]f(x) = x^{2}[/itex] in Fourier series in the region [itex][-\pi, \pi][/itex] and taking its value for [itex]x = \pi[/itex].

16. Jul 25, 2010 #15
    Hi

Sorry for my ignorrance, but I can't see how this helps with the question (see post#9)

Jamees

17. Jul 25, 2010 #16

Mute

Homework Helper

The problem is that you differentiated f(t), so your series converges to f'(t), which is either equal to -1 or 0, but you set to it f'(t=-pi/2) = pi/2 and equated the pi/2 to the series instead of the actual value of f(t=-pi/2) = -1.

18. Jul 25, 2010 #17

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why not just set t=pi/2 in the original function?

19. Jul 26, 2010 #18
    Hi

If I put [tex]t=\pi/2[/tex] the [tex]f(\pi/2)=0[/tex] and we get

[tex]\frac{\pi}{4}=\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1}[/tex]

Thanks everyone for your help.

James

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook