Sum of infinite Fourier series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 7K views
bobred
Messages
170
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show that

[tex]\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{1}{(2r+1)^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{8}[/tex]

Homework Equations


The equation of the function is

[tex]F(t)&=&\dfrac{\pi}{4}-\dfrac{2}{\pi}\left(\cos t+\dfrac{\cos3t}{3^{2}}+\dfrac{\cos5t}{5^{2}}+\cdots\right)-\left(\sin t-\dfrac{\sin2t}{2}+\dfrac{\sin3t}{3}-\cdots\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


We are given the condition that t=0, so the cos terms are all 1 giving

[tex]\left(\cos t+\dfrac{\cos3t}{3^{2}}+\dfrac{\cos5t}{5^{2}}+\cdots\right)=\dfrac{1}{1^{2}}+\dfrac{1}{3^{2}}+\dfrac{1}{5^{2}}+\dfrac{1}{7^{2}}\cdots=\frac{\pi^2}{8}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bobred said:

Homework Statement


Show that

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty\frac{1}{(2r+1)^2}=\frac{1}{8}[/tex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Did you write the question incorrectly? The expression that you're summing doesn't have the indexing variable in it anywhere, so it diverges toward infinity:
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty\frac{1}{(2r+1)^2}=\frac{1}{(2r+1)^2}\sum_{i=0}^\infty1=\frac{1}{(2r+1)^2}\infty = \infty[/tex]
 
Hi

The i should have been r.

I know from elsewhere that the sum is [tex]\frac{\pi^{2}}{8}[/tex], but I haven't really shown that, any hints?

Thanks

James
 
You have to know the original function which the series you have written down represents. Evaluate this function at t=0 and do a little algebra.

Mat
 
The original function is piecewise

[tex]f(t)=\begin{cases}<br /> -t & \left(-\pi<t\leq0\right)\\<br /> 0 & \left(0<t\leq\pi\right)\end{cases}[/tex]

With a period of [tex]2\pi[/tex]

James
 
You have the value of it's Fourier series at t=0, now calculate what f(0) is and equate the two values.
 
Hi

I am next asked to choose an appropriate value for t and find the value of convergence of the following,

[tex] \sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1}=\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{5}-\frac{1}{7}[/tex]

I know this converges to [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex], but I am not sure where to start, the function is still the same as at the beginning of the thread

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks, James
 
Integrate both the original function and its Fourier Series term by term. Then try to substitute some value of x into get that result.
 
hunt_mat said:
Don't integrate but differentiate.

Whoops, my mistake.
 
I differentiate the approximation and set [tex]t=-\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] giving

[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}=\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{1}{2r+1}\sin((2r+1)t)[/tex] as sin alternates sign we get

[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}=\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1}[/tex]

To which I find

[tex]\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1}=\frac{\pi^2}{4}[/tex] and not [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks
 
[tex] \sum_{r = 0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(2 r + 1)^{2}}} = \sum_{r = 0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{r^{2}}} - \sum_{r = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{(2 r)^{2}}} = \left(1 - \frac{1}{4}\right) \, \sum_{r = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{r^{2}}}[/tex]

The sum:

[tex] \zeta(2) \equiv \sum_{r = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{r^{2}}}[/tex]

can be found by expanding the function [itex]f(x) = x^{2}[/itex] in Fourier series in the region [itex][-\pi, \pi][/itex] and taking its value for [itex]x = \pi[/itex].
 
Hi

Sorry for my ignorrance, but I can't see how this helps with the question (see post#9)

Jamees
 
bobred said:
I differentiate the approximation and set [tex]t=-\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] giving

[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}=\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{1}{2r+1}\sin((2r+1)t)[/tex] as sin alternates sign we get

[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}=\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1}[/tex]

To which I find

[tex]\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1}=\frac{\pi^2}{4}[/tex] and not [tex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

The problem is that you differentiated f(t), so your series converges to f'(t), which is either equal to -1 or 0, but you set to it f'(t=-pi/2) = pi/2 and equated the pi/2 to the series instead of the actual value of f(t=-pi/2) = -1.
 
Why not just set t=pi/2 in the original function?
 
Hi

If I put [tex]t=\pi/2[/tex] the [tex]f(\pi/2)=0[/tex] and we get

[tex]\frac{\pi}{4}=\sum_{r=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1}[/tex]

Thanks everyone for your help.

James