Surface area of solid of revolution (no calculus)

In summary, the given inequality generates a solid of revolution when rotated an angle of π/6 radians around the line x + y = 0. The surface area of this solid is equal to (128/3)π, which is also the answer to its volume. The solid includes the area of the circle where it is being generated from and the area where it is being rotated to.
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

Consider the region of the x y plane given by the inequality:

x^2 + 4x + y^2 - 4x - 8 ≤ 0;

If this region rotates an angle of π/6 radians around the line given by the equation x + y = 0, it will create a solid of revolution with surface area equal to

(i) (128/3)π; (ii) (128/4)π; (iii) (128/5)π; (iv) (128/6)π; (v) (128/7)π

Homework Equations

area of a sphere = 4πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

okay, so first I factored the inequality into:

(x + 2)^2 + (y - 2)^2 ≤ 16;

Which means it's a circle centered at (2, -2) and with r = 4. The line x + y = 0 goes through the center of the circle. Now I am stuck.. cause I though that if it rotated an angle of π radians around the line it would give the full external area of the sphere so if it rotated only π/6 it would give 1/6 of it. Which would equal to (4π4^2)/6 = (64/6)π. But that is not one of the answers..

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with everything you have said. My best guess is that either the problem meant for you to calculate its volume instead of surface area, or whoever wrote the answer choices accidentally did that instead of calculating the surface area. The volume does give one of those answers.

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
a solid of revolution with surface area equal to
It's a solid, not a shell. Have you considered all surfaces of the solid?

haruspex said:
It's a solid, not a shell. Have you considered all surfaces of the solid?

I haven't though about that! Of course it's not just a shell! It's an inequality that generates the solid of revolution! In that case I would have the (64/6)π + 2(π4^2) one area of the circle for where the solid is being generated from and one from where the solid is rotating to! And that equals (128/3)π!

Thanks!

EDIT: Wait, is it a solid not a "shell" because they specified by saying so, or is it a solid not a shell because they gave the thing to generate the solid to be an inequality?

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
I haven't though about that! Of course it's not just a shell! It's an inequality that generates the solid of revolution! In that case I would have the (64/6)π + 2(π4^2) one area of the circle for where the solid is being generated from and one from where the solid is rotating to! And that equals (128/3)π!

Thanks!

EDIT: Wait, is it a solid not a "shell" because they specified by saying so, or is it a solid not a shell because they gave the thing to generate the solid to be an inequality?

Interestingly enough, that is also the answer to its volume.

V0ODO0CH1LD said:

The inequality gives a filled in circle and rotated results in a solid no matter what they say :)

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This axis can be any line, and the resulting solid will have a circular cross-section.

2. How do you calculate the surface area of a solid of revolution without using calculus?

To calculate the surface area of a solid of revolution without using calculus, you can use the formula: Surface Area = 2πrh, where r is the radius of the base of the solid and h is the height of the solid. You can also use the formula: Surface Area = π(r1 + r2)l, where r1 and r2 are the radii of the top and bottom bases of the solid and l is the length of the solid.

3. Can the surface area of a solid of revolution be calculated if the shape is not a perfect circle?

Yes, the surface area of a solid of revolution can still be calculated if the shape is not a perfect circle. In this case, the radius used in the formula would be the average radius of the shape, which can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the shape by 2π.

4. How is the surface area of a solid of revolution related to its volume?

The surface area of a solid of revolution is directly proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume of the solid increases, so does its surface area. This relationship is important in understanding the properties of various three-dimensional shapes and how they can be used in real-world applications.

5. What are some examples of real-world objects that can be represented as solids of revolution?

Some examples of real-world objects that can be represented as solids of revolution include cones, cylinders, and spheres. For example, a traffic cone can be represented as a cone-shaped solid of revolution, while a soda can can be represented as a cylinder-shaped solid of revolution. A basketball can be represented as a sphere-shaped solid of revolution.