Summation of the polynomial and division

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if p(z) = \sum_{j=0}^{n} a_{n-j}z^j is a polynomial of at least degree 1, then 1/z is a root of p if z \neq 0. This is proven using the fundamental theorem of algebra and the ratio test. It is shown that p(1/z) = 0, making 1/z a root of p.
Susanne217

Homework Statement

Let [tex]p(z) = \sum_{j=0}^{n} a_{n-j}z^j[/tex] be a polynomial of at least degree 1 thus
[tex]n \geq 1[/tex].
Show that if [tex]z\neq 0[/tex] then 1/z is a root of the polynomial p.

Homework Equations

Fundamental theorem of Algebra

The Attempt at a Solution

If a expand the polynomial above then

[tex]p(z) = \sum_{j=0}^{n} a_{n-j}z^j = a_n + a_{n-1}z + a_{n-2}z^2 + \cdots + a_0 z^n[/tex]

to test if 1/z is a root of p then this must be equal too

[tex]p(1/z) = \sum_{j=0}^{n} a_{n-j}z^j = a_n + a_{n-1}(1/z) + a_{n-2}(1/z)^2 + \cdots + a_0 (1/z)^n = 0[/tex]

Then as I see it its my task to show that the new sum

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n (\frac{1}{z})^n[/tex] converges to zero. Then by the ratio-test

[tex]\frac{a_{n+1}(\frac{1}{z})^{n+1}}{a_n (\frac{1}{z})^{n}} \rightarrow 0[/tex] as [tex]z \rightarrow \infty[/tex] therefore 1/z is a root of p.

Am I on the right track here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your problem should be formulated as follows. If

[tex]q(z) = \sum_{j=0}^{n}a_{j}z^{j}[/tex]

and we define p(z) in the way you have written down, then if q(z)=0 for z not equal to zero, then we have that p(1/z) = 0.

Count Iblis said:
I think your problem should be formulated as follows. If

[tex]q(z) = \sum_{j=0}^{n}a_{j}z^{j}[/tex]

and we define p(z) in the way you have written down, then if q(z)=0 for z not equal to zero, then we have that p(1/z) = 0.

Hi Count Iblis and thank you for your answer,

So what you are saying (please correct if I missunderstand) that if I show that if q(z) doesn't converge to zero then p(1/z) = 0 is a root of p?

thats easy cause if n is of degree at least 1 then then in my understanding
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow 1} q(z) \rightarrow 1[/tex]

Last edited:
q(z) is assumed to be zero for some z. And then you can see that
p(1/z) must be zero as well. This, of course, for z itself not equal to zero, otherwise 1/z would not exist.

I don't see how convergence plays any role here, as we're dealing with polynomials...

Count Iblis said:
q(z) is assumed to be zero for some z. And then you can see that
p(1/z) must be zero as well. This, of course, for z itself not equal to zero, otherwise 1/z would not exist.

I don't see how convergence plays any role here, as we're dealing with polynomials...

I see that now :) But is this really that easily? No need to show anything to show that p(1/z) is a root of p?

You do need to show that p(1/z) is zero. You can take the expression for p(1/z) you wrote down:

a_n + a_{n-1} 1/z + ...+a_0 1/z^n

If you multiply this with z^n, you get...?

Count Iblis said:
You do need to show that p(1/z) is zero. You can take the expression for p(1/z) you wrote down:

a_n + a_{n-1} 1/z + ...+a_0 1/z^n

If you multiply this with z^n, you get...?

I get 1, but if I can't use convergense how else am I suppose to show that its zero?

What I mean is:

(a_n + a_{n-1} 1/z + ...+a_0 1/z^n) z^n =

a_n z^n+ a_{n-1} z^(n-1) + ...+a_0

I am such a dumb person Count...

If you multiply the above by z^n then you get the original p(z)...

where q(z) = z^n for a set not equal to zero then p(1/z) = 0 and thus 1/z is a root of p :) Right ?

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of summation of a polynomial?

The summation of a polynomial refers to the process of adding together all of the terms in the polynomial expression. This can be done by combining like terms and following the rules of addition and subtraction.

2. How is polynomial division performed?

Polynomial division is performed by using long division or synthetic division. In long division, the polynomial is divided by another polynomial, and the quotient and remainder are obtained. In synthetic division, a simpler method, the divisor must be in the form of x - c, and the process involves a series of subtraction and multiplication steps.

3. What are the key properties of polynomial division?

The key properties of polynomial division include the fact that the quotient and remainder must have a lower degree than the divisor, the remainder can be zero, the division algorithm can be applied multiple times, and the division process can be reversed to check the solution.

4. Can you provide an example of summation of a polynomial?

Sure, let's say we have the polynomial 3x^2 + 2x - 5 and we want to find its sum. We can rewrite it as (3x^2 + 2x) + (-5) and then combine like terms to get 3x^2 + 2x - 5. So the sum of the polynomial is 3x^2 + 2x - 5.

5. How is polynomial division used in real-life situations?

Polynomial division has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. For example, it can be used to solve problems involving distance, speed, and time, to model the motion of objects, and to calculate compound interest. It is also used in signal processing and circuit analysis.