Why does the summation of even integers result in infinity?

In summary, summation with no argument is a mathematical operation that involves adding a series of numbers together. It is often used as a placeholder in equations and can simplify complex equations. It differs from regular summation in that there are no numbers inside the parentheses, resulting in a 0 value. It can be used in any type of mathematical equation and has no limit to the number of numbers that can be added, but the result will always be 0.
BOAS
Hello,

in my QM class we arrived at the expression ##\langle \hat{H} \rangle = \Sigma_{even n} |C_n|^2 E_n = \frac{24}{n^2 \pi^2} \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{n^2 \pi^2}{L^2}##.

The n terms cancel and we are left with ##\langle \hat{H} \rangle = \frac{12 \hbar^2}{mL^2} \Sigma_{even n} 1##.

My lecturer said that this sum is infinity, since the number of even integers is infinity. Why is this the case when there are no n terms for the sum to act upon?

##\Sigma_{even n} n = \infty##, but I don't understand why ##\Sigma_{even n} 1 = \infty##

Mathematics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
Hello,

in my QM class we arrived at the expression ##\langle \hat{H} \rangle = \Sigma_{even n} |C_n|^2 E_n = \frac{24}{n^2 \pi^2} \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{n^2 \pi^2}{L^2}##.

The n terms cancel and we are left with ##\langle \hat{H} \rangle = \frac{12 \hbar^2}{mL^2} \Sigma_{even n} 1##.

My lecturer said that this sum is infinity, since the number of even integers is infinity. Why is this the case when there are no n terms for the sum to act upon?

##\Sigma_{even n} n = \infty##, but I don't understand why ##\Sigma_{even n} 1 = \infty##
If you add 1 10 times, you get 10.
If you add 1 100 times, you get 100.
If you add 1 1000 times, you get 1000.
If you add 1 10000 times, you get 10000.

See why ##\displaystyle \lim_{K\rightarrow +\infty} \sum_{n=0}^K 1## is ##+\infty##?

Samy_A said:

See why ##\displaystyle \lim_{K\rightarrow +\infty} \sum_{n=0}^K 1## is ##+\infty##?

I understand what the sum to infinity means.

I don't think I have come across a sum over some index, where the index is not present and yet we still perform a sum.

##\Sigma_{n} n## and ##\Sigma_n 1## don't appear to be the same thing, and yet they are treated the same. That's what I don't really get. I can accept that that is how things are done, but was wondering if there was a reason.

BOAS said:
I understand what the sum to infinity means.

I don't think I have come across a sum over some index, where the index is not present and yet we still perform a sum.

##\Sigma_{n} n## and ##\Sigma_n 1## don't appear to be the same thing, and yet they are treated the same. That's what I don't really get. I can accept that that is how things are done, but was wondering if there was a reason.
While often the term being summed depends on the summation index n, there is no reason why this should always be the case.
##\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^\infty 1=+\infty## is a straightforward application of the definition of an infinite sum, or series.
The partial sums get as big as you want when you keep adding 1's, so the series goes to infinity.

Samy_A said:

Samy_A said:
While often the term being summed depends on the summation index n, there is no reason why this should always be the case.
##\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^\infty 1=+\infty## is a straightforward application of the definition of an infinite sum, or series.
The partial sums get as big as you want when you keep adding 1's, so the series goes to infinity.

Ok, if I'm meant to read ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^\infty 1## as the sum of 1 from zero to infinity, that's fine.

Thanks for your help.

For a sequence [itex](a_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] you can form the series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n = a_0 + a_1 + a_2 + \dots[/itex].

If you take the sequence [itex]a_n = 1[/itex] and plug it into the expression above,
then you get the series [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n = \sum_{n=0}^\infty 1 = 1 + 1 + 1 \dots [/itex].

Or consider the partial sum [itex]s_k = \sum_{n=0}^k a_n = a_0 + a_1 + \dots + a_k[/itex]. If you plug in the sequence [itex]a_n = 1[/itex], then you get the partial sum [itex]s_k = \sum_{n=0}^k a_n = a_0 + a_1 + \dots + a_k = \underbrace{1 + 1 + \dots + 1}_{\text{k+1 summands}}[/itex].

Last edited:
BOAS said:
Ok, if I'm meant to read ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^\infty 1## as the sum of 1 from zero to infinity, that's fine.

Thanks for your help.

In fact:

##\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^m a##

is multiplication of ##a## by ##m##

It might be useful to think about the definition of the summation function as ##\sum_{n=0}^Nf(n)=f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+\ldots+f(N)##. Then ##f(n)=1## for your example and the definition works. Usually this is written with ##f(n)=a_n##, but for some reason when I saw it with ##f(n)## for the first time it clicked better for me.

1. What is summation with no argument?

Summation with no argument is a mathematical operation that involves adding a series of numbers together. The numbers to be added are typically written between a set of parentheses and separated by a plus sign, such as (3 + 5 + 2). In the case of summation with no argument, there are no numbers inside the parentheses, so the result is simply 0.

2. Why would I need to use summation with no argument?

Summation with no argument is often used as a placeholder in a mathematical equation or formula. It allows for the possibility of adding more numbers to the equation in the future without having to change the overall structure. It can also be used to simplify complex equations, making them easier to read and understand.

3. How is summation with no argument different from regular summation?

In regular summation, there are numbers inside the parentheses that are being added together. In summation with no argument, there are no numbers inside the parentheses, so the result is 0. Regular summation is used to find the total value of a series of numbers, while summation with no argument is used as a placeholder or simplification tool.

4. Can summation with no argument be used in any type of mathematical equation?

Yes, summation with no argument can be used in any type of mathematical equation. It is commonly used in calculus, statistics, and other branches of mathematics. It can also be used in computer programming to represent a sum of values in a loop or function.

5. Is there a limit to the number of numbers that can be added in summation with no argument?

No, there is no limit to the number of numbers that can be added in summation with no argument. However, as the number of numbers increases, the result will always be 0. This is because adding 0 to any number does not change its value. So whether there are 2, 10, or 100 numbers inside the parentheses, the result will always be 0.