Summer Heat: Would You Like 105 F Instead?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hot Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
262 replies · 34K views
Oh wow. I'm in for one helluva a storm right now. Trees across the street are leaning. At least I'm in a big brick building. Clouds are moving dark, fast, and low.

Gotta find my kite!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Another sweltering humid afternoon in the 90s. There is supposed to be a Canadian high-pressure system moving in soon. It could get REAL loud out there. I hope we don't get any more twisters.
 
I guess it's better today. The relative humidity must be down I only have a heat index of 108° but the temperature is 105°. Where's those 80°s Evo was promising? Heck; I don't think it got out of the 90s here last night.
 
Does anyone remember the Robin Williams move "Good Morning Vietnam"? My second favorite line was the weather report - something to the effect of - 'it's HOT'!
 
Turns out yesterday was the hottest day ever recorded in many areas in the northeast. Not just for the day... EVER. At least as long as we've been recording (80 years or more in some places)
 
dlgoff said:
I guess it's better today. The relative humidity must be down I only have a heat index of 108° but the temperature is 105°. Where's those 80°s Evo was promising? Heck; I don't think it got out of the 90s here last night.

Don,

I woke up thinking this would be a good day to get outside, wrong, the weather report says mid high in the mid 80's, it is 88% but feels hotter, and that is in the shade. I was going to take a bicycle ride for exercise, but that would be bad, so a walk before sundown it is. Indoor stuff today, painting, etc...

How about some chicken water activity pics ? I am sure they must have some funny antics.

Rhody...
 
rhody said:
Don,

I woke up thinking this would be a good day to get outside, wrong, the weather report says mid high in the mid 80's, it is 88% but feels hotter, and that is in the shade. I was going to take a bicycle ride for exercise, but that would be bad, so a walk before sundown it is. Indoor stuff today, painting, etc...

How about some chicken water activity pics ? I am sure they must have some funny antics.

Rhody...
The chickens were attacked by foxes, half of them were killed. :cry:
 
Evo said:
The chickens were attacked by foxes, half of them were killed. :cry:

I have a simple solution, sniper rifle, and hang the first killed upside down near their pen. But wait, would the other foxes cannibalize their own, thus serving no real purpose. Animal experts feel free to chime in here...

Rhody...
 
turbo said:
Baby, it's loud outside! T-storms have swept in.

Nice to see you lost the "-1" congratulations, now, if someone takes your old ID it will be confusing for sure. God forbid they are a paying member and use your avatar, that would screw things up really good.

Rhody... :smile:
 
WhoWee said:
Please don't arm the chickens.
:smile:

Rhody... :biggrin:
 
rhody said:
Nice to see you lost the "-1" congratulations, now, if someone takes your old ID it will be confusing for sure. God forbid they are a paying member and use your avatar, that would screw things up really good.

Rhody... :smile:
I tagged on the "-1" because "turbo" was taken when I joined up. turbo was such a nice ferret that I wanted to honor him. "Ferret-bowling" was our favorite game. I'd tickle him and tease him, then scale him across that slippery floor, and he'd try to right himself so he could stop and come back to me. He'd play keep-away, so I'd have to work to get him and tease him. We had fun. Eventually, he'd come back to me and want to be held, and he'd crash in my lap.
 
Ok, it was supposed to cool off at the end of the week, but now they're predicting a decrease for one day, then temps going back up.
 
Evo said:
Ok, it was supposed to cool of at the end of the week, but now they're predicting a decrease for one day, then temps going back up.
Not good!
 
We have a reprieve from the heat. The temps are in the mid 80s during the day, and low to mid 60s at night. It rained all day yesterday and gave us a much needed soaking. We had thundershower move through the area this afternoon, but it was bright and sunny before and after.

Sorry that you're getting the heat again Evo. There's a hot region centered on the KS/MO border.

Near dlgoff and Evo:
Wednesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 101. Heat index values as high as 110.

Thursday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 100. Heat index values as high as 110.
 
Last edited:
Evo said:
Ok, it was supposed to cool off at the end of the week, but now they're predicting a decrease for one day, then temps going back up.

The last forecast I heard predicted these temps through the end of August.
 
turbo said:
I tagged on the "-1" because "turbo" was taken when I joined up.
Nice name turbo-1+1.
 
turbo said:
Thanks! Jimmy is a nice name!

I vote for Jimmy_Snyder to change his ID to The_Jimster.

Rhody... :biggrin:
 
OMG I just checked the temperature here. It's 106°F with an index of 110°F.
 
It's 85f outside right now, but it feels 10 degrees cooler due to the low humidity and constant wind. I can't tolerate heat, but I could sleep outside in this, walking the dog and it feels very pleasant. I don't think I could tolerate it inside though.
 
Dang. This afternoon, 107°F with and index of 110°F.
 
dlgoff said:
Dang. This afternoon, 107°F with and index of 110°F.
Ooh! That's bad. We got near to 90 today, though the humidity made that temperature uncomfortable for me. I'd die in 107 without A/C.
 
turbo said:
Ooh! That's bad. We got near to 90 today, though the humidity made that temperature uncomfortable for me. I'd die in 107 without A/C.
I'm dying now. And tomorrows forecast is hotter. I've heard, on TV, that there may be temperatures breaking records from 30 years ago.
temperature_5.png
 
Supposed to be 106F tomorrow, actual temperature, You walk outside and within a minute, you feel damp and can't breathe due to the humidity.
 
At home yesterday, it was 96F at noon. And then by 430 pm, there was a hail storm, which is rather rare in our area.

I'm in Idaho for the week, and here it 52F this morning. Sunday and yesterday, it rained. Apparently, this summer has been relatively cool.