Summer Heat: Would You Like 105 F Instead?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hot Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
262 replies · 34K views
Mainly sunny and predicted high of 24 C (75 F) here today.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just about 90 in the shade now (and still climbing) and the humidity is horrible. I have both AC units running and I can't manage to get the RH below 50%. In fact, it's going up again. This is a sticky day. We don't suffer through this stuff until August in normal years. It may be time to move to Canada - someplace in the far-northern reaches of Ontario or PQ.
 
What can you run on your generator(s) if you had too Turbo ?

Rhody...
 
It's 99F here. I think it's really brutal. I'm not sure though since I'm spending the day in the county library.
 
rhody said:
What can you run on your generator(s) if you had too Turbo ?

Rhody...
I can run one of the AC units and possibly the TV. It's a small generator (5.5 hp Honda), and I don't want to load it too heavily.
 
I might have to break down and buy and install a permanently hooked-up generator. Losing power on a day like this would be very uncomfortable, to say the least. I can have a hard time breathing on a good day, and days like this strain my limits.

Duke needs to get out and pee and get a bit of exercise, but I need to get back to the house pretty soon, so I can recover. Luckily, he likes to get back in the house after we have had a short walk so he can cool off, too. He is sacked-out on his bed now. He can tolerate the heat, but he'd rather be in a cool house.
 
turbo said:
I might have to break down and buy and install a permanently hooked-up generator. Losing power on a day like this would be very uncomfortable, to say the least.

Do it turbo. I've been working outside a lot in the up to 100°F days and wouldn't be able to survive if I didn't have an ac to come in to.
 
Rain came through and the temp has dropped 20 some degrees today, hopefully it remains that way at least through the night.
 
Yup, it was toasty today, 93deg in the shade. I measured 85deg in the chicken coop tonight. I wonder how they manage to stay cool with their down coats on. Made sure they had plenty of water to drink.

With the 4th July holiday right around the corner, and the prediction of high 90s today, I figured it is about time to drag out the air conditioner. I installed a window unit last night. Sure glad I did, it created a safe haven from this wave of high temps & humidity. :cool:
 
92 and climbing today, with enough humidity to make me gasp. Even Duke doesn't want to go outside for pee-walks - not fun. This front yard is usually teeming with birds, but they are all laying low. This is August weather in June.

Edit: Extreme out-lier August weather in June. It is very rare that we ever get 3 consecutive days in the mid-nineties in August. unheard of in June.
 
Last edited:
It was 105F yesterday in our backyard.

Today was approaching 100F but we had a severe thunderstorm rip through our area. We lost power at work and then at home. We saw a small branch perched on the power lines near our house. That's what knocked our power out.

We went out to eat a few miles from the house. On the way home, we saw a large tree on top of a car, and small bits of trees scattered on the various roads in our area.

11,000 people were without power.
 
108F today.

Thought about getting under the car to change my oil, but Ill put it off and do it early morning on the weekend when its cooler out.

Yesterday evening some buddies and I were talking about how nice it was (around midnight), we checked the temp and it was 95F. haha, holy crap when 95F feels nice.
 
Dang. The forecast for around here on Sunday is 105F. But it's not the first 100 degree day.
 
dlgoff said:
Dang. The forecast for around here on Sunday is 105F. But it's not the first 100 degree day.
Wow, you are a lot hotter than here and you're so close. We've only had a couple of days in the low 90's. It's cool outside right now. 65F tonight. Today's high was in the low 80's.
 
Evo said:
Wow, you are a lot hotter than here and you're so close. We've only had a couple of days in the low 90's. It's cool outside right now. 65F tonight. Today's high was in the low 80's.
Well now the forecast says 99 for Sunday.
 
Mostly cloudy and in the 80s already with very high humidity. Generally, in the aftermath of heavy T-storms (like yesterday) we end up with a drying trend. Not this time. The front page of the morning paper is plastered with details about the damage and flooding caused by the T-storms. They weren't that bad locally, but the garden got watered more than necessary.
 
90 today, in the shade. This is so uncharacteristic of Maine at this time of year. At least there is a little breeze, but it is not enough to give any relief. Duke wants to go out for a walk, but after a minute or so out there, his tongue is hanging out. He'd love to go visit our Mass neighbors and their dog and new pup, but it's too hot to let them run and play. Maybe if they set out another hose with a sprinkler. Moose (chocolate Lab puppy) would love that.
 
Here in Louisville it's currently 102. The high yesterday was 105 and will reach the same temp today. There doesn't seem to be any relief coming in the next few days.
 
dlgoff said:
Well now the forecast says 99 for Sunday.
I was looking at the forecast, you're always about 20% more humidity and 5 degrees hotter, not counting the humidity.
 
Dr Transport said:
They are predicting 10 days of 100+ temps in St Louis...already smashed records two days in a row.
I *hate* hot weather, supposed to get storms here tonight, then temps going back up. :frown:
 
105 yesterday and 103 today in upstate South Carolina. Both are records. Fortunately I didn't have to go anywhere except to the street to pick up the mail. We get temperatures like this, but usually not until August. Forecast is 103 again tomorrow, 100 Monday, and "only" 97 on Tuesday.
 
Lost power from the Friday night D.C. storm and just got it back at 3:30 am this morning - 29 hours with no power. Then, I had to spend 4 1/2 hours trying to get my wireless router back online. Glad to have the power back.
 
Thermometer behind my window shows 39 deg C (100 deg F). It always shows a little bit more than it is, but even if it is 36 only it is still way too much for my linking.
 
Thunderstorm passed by, we were just barely touched by the northern wing, a little bit of gusts and perhaps five minutes of rain, temperature dropped to less than 30 deg C. MUCH BETTER, although the air is still humid and heavy.
 
Storms: Mid-Atlantic power outages could last days
http://news.yahoo.com/storms-mid-atlantic-power-outages-could-last-days-091242847.html

The east coast experienced a series of derechos.
 
Just took Duke for a walk and I'm all sweaty. It's only 85+ under cloudy skies, but the humidity coming in on this southwesterly wind is heavy. I wouldn't be surprised to get a T-storm or two this afternoon. Can't complain though. Some people will be without power for days in 3-digit temps.
 
It's hot almost everywhere.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48797&stc=1&d=1341170709.jpg
 

Attachments

  • HOT.jpg
    HOT.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 541