Summer Heat: Would You Like 105 F Instead?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hot Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
262 replies · 34K views
It's 108F, luckily the humidity dropped to 19%. Today's fluke is caused by "Air from more than a mile above will press down over northeast Kansas, simultaneously drawing in dry air from New Mexico and the Texas panhandle".
It's just this loop from Texas up through the central states. I know it's because I'm here. :eek:

I can't believe all of the cool air to the west of us.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A cold front is pushing through, and though the temperatures have moderated, the humidity is still high. The front is triggering pop-up thunderstorms and thanks to the dry conditions that the heat-wave brought us the last few weeks, firefighters are scrambling. The scanner has been filled with traffic on woods-fires, structure fires, etc from the lightning strikes. Our town's fire department is on standby for a mutual-aid request in a town across the river, and in case more lightning strikes result in additional fires. The T-storms have not resulted in helpful rains, unfortunately.
 
The evening news on ABC yesterday had a report from Dallas about a big boom in the bagged-ice business there. The tap water is so warm that restaurants' ice-making machines don't work, so they have to buy bagged ice.
 
Astronuc said:
An article that claims that all 50 states in the US set record highs in July.
http://news.yahoo.com/50-states-see-record-highs-july-173203227.html

Various places in the northeast US achieved all-time highs.

I am skeptical. Here in Oregon we barely hit 80F in July, a month in which upper 90's is not uncommon. I know that the Willamette Valley did not set any heat records last month, maybe some where east of the Cascades. I do not think that we have had as many as 4days in a row above 80F yet this summer, it has been very cool with about 2 weeks of cool May like weather (with rain) in the middle of July.
 
The heat wave is over. High temps are back in the 80's, lows in the 60's. YAY!
 
Evo said:
The heat wave is over. High temps are back in the 80's, lows in the 60's. YAY!
So glad for you! It is supposed to be a bit drier tomorrow, then the humidity sits on us again.

I want September!
 
I have a bear that lives on the lower part of the property near the junk cars and the beaver flowage. He won't need a kiddie pool with that stream/pond on hand.

Still that was a cute video.
 
The temperature moderated a bit today, though it is still quite humid. I hate running a de-humidifier and an AC unit at the same time, but it is necessary if I am going to be able to breathe. The electricity-supplier is going to be so happy this summer.
 
WOOT! Just got my electric bill, and I live in a all electric house, stove, oven, coffee maker, bread machine, fridge, freezer, central air conditioning, washer dryer, water heater, and I like it cold (65F at night, 68-70F during the day and (drum roll please!)

My bill for July was $96!
 
Last edited:


Since we don't have a "Baby it's hot outside" thread.

Dang. I knew it was going to be very warm today but not 95°F. :bugeye:
 
It's not really hot yet, but this winter has been warmer (and drier) than normal.

We had a day recently were it was 94F in our back yard. That day is an all time record for they. A few days before, temperatures were in the 30's, and a few days later, the temperatures dropped back to the 30 and 40s.

Today has been cool to mild.
 
Thanks for moving my post to where it belongs Evo. The heat from being on my moms roof for three hours this afternoon taring and flashing a 30 foot strip got to me. Not to mention a painful sun-burn. :frown:
 
By this time tomorrow, I'll be on a flight to Aruba. Now you can get your boarding pass online and that's just what I did. On the boarding pass there is a weather forecast.

Fri Apr 27 82F/79F Precip 10%
Sat Apr 28 82F/79F Precip 10%
Sun Apr 29 82F/79F Precip 10%

Not too shabby. This is typical spring weather in Aruba. The summers are hot and rainy
Sat Jul 7 83F/80F Precip 11%

The winters cold and dry
Sat Jan 14 81F/78F Precip 9%

If you are attending this year's conference, dress appropriately for the season. You'll find me training on the lazy river in case it gets added to the Olympics.
 
turbo said:
What time is it?!
Who cares. I'll send some warm to Maine if I have any to spare.
 
dlgoff said:
Thanks for moving my post to where it belongs Evo. The heat from being on my moms roof for three hours this afternoon taring and flashing a 30 foot strip got to me. Not to mention a painful sun-burn. :frown:
You chose the hottest day to do roof repairs? It's going back down into the low 60's (61 as high Sunday). What am I going to do with you?
 
Evo said:
You chose the hottest day to do roof repairs? It's going back down into the low 60's (61 as high Sunday). What am I going to do with you?
Tar is easier to work with when it's hot. I had to wait for yesterday but didn't think it was going to be that hot. My sun burn is feeling better after using a Aloe Vera lotion.
 
It's 90+ degrees here (in the shade) with oppressive humidity. The forecast is for ~90 again tomorrow, and even more humidity and afternoon T-storms (perhaps severe). We usually don't get these temperatures until August at least. With my breathing problems, I find it hard to walk my dog in this crap. Unfortunately, he is going through a spell of intestinal distress, so he needs more walks than normal.
 
Last edited:
Aye...it was 85ish at 9am here, lawn is already stunted, supposed to get mid 90s, not including heat index. This is more like August for us too, makes me wonder what August is going to be like? 110F+? Going to need to migrate north, perhaps above the Arctic circle...
 
Insanity said:
Aye...it was 85ish at 9am here, lawn is already stunted, supposed to get mid 90s, not including heat index. This is more like August for us too, makes me wonder what August is going to be like? 110F+? Going to need to migrate north, perhaps above the Arctic circle...
It could be tough. We hardly ever get anything resembling winter here, and the summer heat at the end of spring makes me fear for my garden. Even worse, the bugs that normally get killed off in the winter cold are out in force. Not good.
 
94 in the shade with high humidity. So glad I don't live in NYC or Philly! All that pavement will keep pumping out the heat back out into the evening hours.
 
turbo said:
94 in the shade with high humidity. So glad I don't live in NYC or Philly! All that pavement will keep pumping out the heat back out into the evening hours.

Humidity is low 33%, so not as bad as it could be. Reportedly its suppose to let up after tonight. Its never good when you get up in the morning and its already 80+ and the sun is just rising. One reason I want to build a proper hobbit hole.
 
It was over 100F in our back yard today, and it's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow.

My son said the temperature had dropped to 97 F at 5:30 pm.
 
Infrared on shaded concrete at 6:15 was 98.9f

humidity is only 47% but with this heat the indexed temp is 108ish.
 
Almost back to 90 again, today, but with brutal humidity. I don't know if we'll hit the mid-nineties like yesterday, but we're under the gun for T-storms this afternoon/evening. Not good, because this road is about the last place in the area to regain power, once it is out.